Quick Charge kit and battery life

pxr5

My lad has one of these quick charge kits and one rechargeable white battery pack. One side of the base has never worked, now neither side does. When I turn on the base unit the 2 green lights flash momentarily, but on plugging in the rechargeable battery pack no light come on at all - red or green. I've cleaned all the contacts and the base unit does make that slight noise as it always has - akin to capacitors charging.

Is it a case that the battery pack has simply given up or is the base unit knackered. The whole thing is about 9 months old and the pack has had pretty much continous use since then. I'm loathe to buy another battery pack if they only last this long. Or am I better off with simple rechargeable AA batteries.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
i guess you could only tell if it charges up another battery.
do you know anyone that has a play and charge kit, the one with the lead, that attaches into the 360, and the pad..this would let you know if your battery is dead or not, as it will appear to charge up, then quickly tell you its fully charged(with a green light), when its not.
the batteries have a limited life though, and i would think that it may be dead.

excessive

Standard Member
Check on the charge dock that the gold contacts haven't been pushed in. One side of mine stopped working, but when i inspected it one gold prong contact had been pushed in somehow. When the battery pack clicks in, even if one of the gold contacts don't touch it won't charge. Just a thought :)

pxr5

Cheers for the replies guys. The contacts are OK - but the idea of using someone elses cable is a good thought, just got to find one now.

GMC79

Distinguished Member
i guess you could only tell if it charges up another battery.
do you know anyone that has a play and charge kit, the one with the lead, that attaches into the 360, and the pad..this would let you know if your battery is dead or not, as it will appear to charge up, then quickly tell you its fully charged(with a green light), when its not.
the batteries have a limited life though, and i would think that it may be dead.

Yeah but not that limited in 9 months, i still have my battery packs and charge kit from soon after launch, Sure yeah they may be roughly 20% down on capacity/life but still going strong after 3 years.
Still sounds dead tho which is not good after so little tme.

Decent AA's and a charger will cost a bit less than a replacement batt pack and charge kit so choice is yours.

Last edited:

dazza1011

Novice Member
i have to make sure its slotted in correctly as the button on the battery pack doesnt always ' Click ' in but saying that it should work for 9 months at least

oasismark

Is your Xbox console within its 1 year warrenty?

If it is, just call up MS and say your play & charge kit is faulty and they will send out a new one.

But only if your within 1 year warrenty.

Heed

Standard Member
I found the play and charge kits to be a bit flaky TBH. I picked up 4 x AA rechargeables and use them now. It's not as convenient as the play and charge station but it's never let me down. A quick charger isn't very expensive ad you can have 4 x AA's charged in 20 minutes.

shagaboopon

In my experience the Micorsoft batteries are garbage, they hold less charge and fail quicker than the Game branded battery I bought with a play and charge kit. I have 2 MS batteries and one Game battery and the Game one lasts twice as long as the others and is used more often.

I have the quick charge base and it's worked flawlessly for me so I guess it's faulty and/or your battery is too. I would suggest replacing both batteries and the charging kit as one could be faulty and has broken the other.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom