Quick cat6 question

nickb23

Hi guys. Got a quick question regarding cat6. I am networking my house with cat6 and most of the cables will be going from a patch panel to cat6 modules. This is easy as I follow the colour coding as I punch down. But I am also installing a unifi WiFi system with 4 access points. For these 4 cables I was going to punch down one end at the patch panel and the other end I was going to terminate with an rj45 connector to go directly into the AP's hanging from the ceiling. My question is which colour coding do the patch panels follow. Is it T568a or T568b?? Also if I buy an rj45 cable tester, will it work with cat6 cables??

Thanks. Nick

UberCoder

T568b... We basically use this colour coding so someone ever needed to do work on your network it would be easier for them to rewire or add new sections to the network. You could have your own wiring colour code as long as the cables were wired as "straight through", but I would just stick to the T568b standard.

A lot of the cheap testers only test continuity of the wire, and it's handy to have a tester which tests if the wires are correctly paired up.

Last edited:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I would advise keeping to modules and patch cables.
This is because installation cable is solid core and patch cable is stranded so the connectors are designed with this in mind.

neilball

T568b... We basically use this colour coding so someone ever needed to do work on your network it would be easier for them to rewire or add new sections to the network. You could have your own wiring colour code as long as the cables were wired as "straight through", but I would just stick to the T568b standard.

Yes it probably would. a lot of the cheap testers only test continuity of the wire, and it's handy to have a tester which tests if the wires are correctly paired up.

Using your own colour coding is not really an option as you also need to ensure that you use twisted pairs for each signal, otherwise you introduce split pairs on the connections which can impair or prevent signal transmission. Sticking to an industry-approved wiring scheme is the best advice, so go with either TIA-568A or B, but as the previous post suggested most now use TIA-568B now.

blue max

Distinguished Member
The modules I used (Excel) were colour coded with the B standard. It would just unnecessarily complicate matters to choose A or any other. The testers for a couple of quid, where you put the device on either end of the cable are good enough to spot a bad connection. If you find things are flawed through using it, it is more than likely a connection unless you have damaged the cable, so relatively straightforward to re-terminate.

I have a mixture of fixed faceplates and external boxes like these:
Excel Plus - Category 6 Surface Mount Boxes | Excel Networking

I got all my cabling in place, but didn't want to finally fix some, due to not wanting to rip newly decorated walls apart - or at least not at this time. Plus it gets stuff up and running and allows you a bit more freedom to choose the best locations. For some applications, like hdmi distribution, I have heard it better to skip the modules altogether and go straight into the device. At least these would allow you to test whether it would work before finally committing. I've got some over if that seems it might be of interest (let me know and I'll put an ad up :)).

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom