Quick cable query?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by theronkinator, Sep 3, 2012.

1. theronkinator

theronkinator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Just running a cable through some walls, I know I should probably use solid core but want to keep it cheap, got a few cables to use and trying to decide which basically.

1) Ebay special, apparently is Cat 6E (yup, really), 26 AWG (I thought cat6 had to be 22awg), 20 metres
    2) Old Microsoft xbox Cat 5E cross over cable, 24 AWG (decent build quality), 10 metres
    3) Belkin Cat 5E crossover cable, 24AWG, 6 metres
    4) No markings on cable at all (strange?), only thing is the word "Net-x" on the connector, relatively stiff so could this be solid core? Length 10-20 metres (coiled atm).

It's going to be used to run between two gigabit switches (daisy chained from router so that all traffic is gigabit).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,711
    Don't use a crossover cable: Gigabit ethernet requires straight cables. Decent GBit switches that are auto-MDI/MDI-X capable should be able the sort out the "uncrossing" for you if the crossover cables are "all crossed" correctly, but it'd be better not to take the chance.

I'd be a bit concerned that an "xbox crossover cable" may not be fully wired - ie it only contains 2 pairs of conductors instead of the require (for GBIt) 4.

I don't think cat6e exists yet, though I have't checked for a while.

Of course, unmarked cable is a complete gamble.

Whatever, you choose, I'd suggest you check it works between your two switches before permanently installling it.

Gigabit ethernet is specified to work up 100m over cat5e or better. It doesn't work any better (or worse) over higher "cat" cable.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  3. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Go to Amazon and get Cat 6. Cheap as chips with ends on them

4. theronkinator

theronkinator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Yeah there is no Cat 6E hence my doubts, it feels cheap and poor so will probably ignore that, will test the crossover cable with the switches, only got one so far, need to order the other (got a TP-Link Gigabit 5 port so will get another of them as it's working well).
    My thinking was the same Cat 5E can do gigabit so use the better quality one rather than the one that claims to be cat 6E. Will test out the unmarked cable as well to see what that's like.

Not really about the price, I'm trying to cut down on clutter and already have a box of about 20 ethernet cables so don't really want to keep getting more.

5. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Don't touch the Cat6E (no such beast). It's copper clad aluminium. Third of the price of solid copper which is what CAT5 and above specifies. Bend it the cheap stuff a few times and it is game over.