Quick bit of legal advice needed please

mjn

Distinguished Member
If i have a document which needs to be "made before a justice of the peace, a magistrate, a commissioner for oaths, a practising solicitor, a notary pulic, a licensed conveyancer, an authorised advocate or an authorised litigator"

Does that mean i can just take to the local police station, and have them witness it? Or does that not count as a "justice of the peace"?

Thanks

C

chachi

Don't think it counts, ex-boss got a similar one yesterday and we're scratching our heads also

bsuttie

Novice Member
justice of the peace
n., pl. justices of the peace. (Abbr. JP) A magistrate of the lowest level of certain state court systems, having authority to act upon minor offenses, commit cases to a higher court for trial, perform marriages, and administer oaths.

So no sorry, you'll probably have to make an appointment with a local solicitor.

regards

Brian

mjn

Distinguished Member
I guess its a money grabbing solicitor then!!

stealther

Novice Member
Is there a difference between this and clerk of justices? because you can just turn up to see them without appointment and get them to witness you sign something.

krish

Distinguished Member
mjn said:
I guess its a money grabbing solicitor then!!
cost me about two or three quid for a statement to be notarised / signed under oath about three years ago (through my solicitor. who then walked me across the road to get another legal bod to do it :confused:); included all that swearing on the bible ******** :rolleyes: