1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick bit of Amp Advice realting to Canton

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Marmite, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    About to purchase a CD1 set up, but have it in my mind to upgrade the fronts to the larger CD100s in the future. I was thinking of getting an amp along the lines of the Denon 1905 which i have heard matches well with the CD1 set. What i am concerned about is wether this amp will still remain suitable if i do proceed with the future upgrade. Any thoughts?

Also, my reason for going for the CD100's would be to improve things on the music front. Bearing this in mind, might there be a better choice of Amp than the Denon 1905 in the same sort of price bracket?

Thanks for reading.

2. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :lease:

Really want to get purchasing but at the moment the decision on the amp is holdaing me back

3. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can't give you good "reasons" but I've recently bought a CD-1 set and as for the amp, I've selected Yamaha 657. Originally I was going to get the Denon but finally decided that the Yamaha is a better amp for me.

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    What is your amp budget and the main priorities for it?

5. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well 230 for the Denon 1905 would be ideal. If this is going to be rubbish for running the CD100's in future though then i will weigh up wether or not to spend more now and save money in the long term. In an ideal world though, 250 would be about right.

I would like it for movies maybe 80/20 at first, but when the CD100's get added, i guess it would start to look more like 50/50.

6. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Can I ask how the Yam 657 sounds with the CD1 :) , I have the CD1 and was also looking to get this amp , how good soes it upconvert to component

:hiya:

7. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just looking at the yamaha RXV650 at the moment. Might this be a better option for use with the CD100's and music?

8. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Still stuck :confused:

The thing that is holding me back is mainly this time delay function that some amps have and others dont. I was all set for the 1905 as it should be powerful enough for the cd100's in a 5.1/7.1 setup, but the lack of a time delay function is worrying me, as i will no doubt soon be purchasing a 32" LCD/plasma. As a result, ive started looking at some of the yamaha amps, but the problem with these seems to be their slight lack of musicality compared to the Denons (plus the fact that they are more expensive).

What i guess i need to know is, should i let this time delay feature affect my potential purchase, or am i fretting over nothing? :suicide:

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have to disagree with you about the newer Yamaha's music abilities. The old yammy's where not to good with music but since the x50 and the 1400/2400 series the music ability got a well needed improvement.

I blind tested my 1400 against an Arcam alpah amp and my friend prefered the sound from my 1400.

If you really are going to buy a lcd/plasma then it would be better to buy am amp with a delay function.

10. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm very happy with the CD1 <-> Yam657 combo. It sounds very good. However I should warn you that I don't have a musical ear...

I've not tested the upconversion yet as my DVD players is connected to the TV by HDMI. My cable receiver has a scart output that for the mement is connected to the TV by a gold coated connecter and I don't have a good quality scart<->s-video connector to test the Yam.