• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Quick audio out question...

a l e x

Distinguished Member
No doubt an easy question for most but its 3am, i'm tired and cannot think...!

TV is a TX-P42GT30 and will be using a Denon 1912 amp. Original plan was to plug the Blu Ray, XBOX and Sky HD box into the amp via HDMI. The gf has had a bit of a moan saying that she won't always want to have sound through the speakers and will be happy with the TV speakers... if everything is going straight into the amp is it possible to by pass it sometimes and just use the normal TV speakers?

Secondly... rather then plugging everything into the amp how would I go about putting it all through the TV first? Could I simply use HDMI to stick everything into the TV and then just use an optical cable to output the sound to the amp? If doing it this way if the amp was turned off would the sound just play out of the TV regardless of the source?

Thanks.

amol12

Standard Member
Denon 1912 would have HDMI passthrough in standby. You may have to explicitly enable it. You can then connect everything to amp with HDMI and connect amp to TV with HDMI. With this setup if amp is switched off, audio will be output from the TV.

Four your second option if you use the HDMI slot marked with ARC in your TV to connect to the amp and also enable ARC on your amp you wont reqiure a optical cable.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Also there is no need to connect the SKY box to the AVR as 5.1 can only be got via the optical cable from the box to the AV amp. SKY HD boxes do not give 5.1 via the HDMI cable so what is the point of connecting it to the AV amp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Four your second option if you use the HDMI slot marked with ARC in your TV to connect to the amp and also enable ARC on your amp you wont reqiure a optical cable.
The ARC channel is specified with a maximum bandwidth sufficient for SD audio only, so the option isn't really viable for HD audio sources.

IMHO, it's merely a matter of showing your wife the benefits of using real speakers as opposed to the TV's; my wife has no such reservations. If it's merely a case of her being frightened by operational complexity, get a Logitech Harmony remote.

a l e x

Distinguished Member
Denon 1912 would have HDMI passthrough in standby. You may have to explicitly enable it. You can then connect everything to amp with HDMI and connect amp to TV with HDMI. With this setup if amp is switched off, audio will be output from the TV.

Thanks. So, regardless of what source i'm using the sound will go via the TV if the amp is off? I won't need to of left it on say the XBOX when I turned the amp off?

Also there is no need to connect the SKY box to the AVR as 5.1 can only be got via the optical cable from the box to the AV amp. SKY HD boxes do not give 5.1 via the HDMI cable so what is the point of connecting it to the AV amp.

So sky into the TV via HDMI and optical out from the sky box into the amp for the sound? Would that mean it would automatically play the sound via the amp when I selected the correct HDMI channel on the TV for sky?

The ARC channel is specified with a maximum bandwidth sufficient for SD audio only, so the option isn't really viable for HD audio sources.

IMHO, it's merely a matter of showing your wife the benefits of using real speakers as opposed to the TV's; my wife has no such reservations. If it's merely a case of her being frightened by operational complexity, get a Logitech Harmony remote.

No doubt she will prefer the sound via speakers but she's a bit strange at times... she'd much rather just listen out the TV speakers when its just the news or the usual crap she watches on the tele!

Thanks all for the input.

One final question if I may... Sky wont be installed straight away, obviously the TV etc will be on moving in day but will be waiting for sky... similar question to before really but how would I put the sound from the TV via the amp? Is that simply an optical cable from TV into amp?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

a l e x

Distinguished Member
Right... I'm thinking Blu Ray into HDMI 1 in the amp, XBOX into HDMI 2 in the amp and then HDMI out from the amp into HDMI 1 on the TV. Sky HD box straight into HDMI 2 on the TV and then an optical cable from optical out in the Sky box into the amp... all I can see is Optical (TV) in... would the optical from the sky go into there?

Now, a no doubt simple question, which source would the amp have to be on for the sound to go from sky via the amp, obviously its only the sound into the amp, no HDMI.

Again, if the amp was off would the sound just play through the TV when watching sky?

Sorry for the simple questions, current set up at home was already set up and just works!

Thanks

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
... optical cable from optical out in the Sky box into the amp... all I can see is Optical (TV) in... would the optical from the sky go into there?
Yes
which source would the amp have to be on for the sound to go from sky via the amp, obviously its only the sound into the amp, no HDMI.
TV, as selected above.
Again, if the amp was off would the sound just play through the TV when watching sky?
Whether the SKY sound will play through the TV is irrespective of whether the amp is on or off. It's a matter of whether the SKY box is configured to send sound (stereo) over HDMI to the TV. As a result, you'll always be reconfiguring or muting the TV. You and your wife may well find the setup messy compared to using just the amp for all sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom