• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Quick Answer? Sony or Sammy 26"

Noo

Standard Member
Hi

Quick bit of advice if anyone can help!

1. Amtrak tried to deliver Sony 26" S series today (£720 Freemans).

2. I ordered the above by mistake, was going to buy Sammy LE26R41BD (£480 Freemans).

I have seen the Sony in action at my parents... very good. Should I accept delivery tomorrow or let it be returned to Freemans and reorder the Sammy?

Things to consider...

1. The Sony is a solid reliable performer... its "a bird in the hand" with 20% discount from Freemans.

2. The Sammy is out of stock until March 14th. People fustrated at waiting times, see thread on this forum!

3. Reliabilty. Sammy < Sony.

4. The Sammy does more tricks... PIP in EPG etc...

5. I personally prefer the look of the Sony.

Please help me make this horrible decision!

Thanks
:)

Timmie

I had the Sammy on order from Freemans and cancelled it yesterday and ordered the Sony, I went through the same thought process as you :D

I also decided with so many Sammy problems that I'd feel happier with an extended warranty whereas the Sony I won't bother, so factoring that into the cost made the price difference less ;)

Your money, your choice....

Noo

Standard Member
Thanks for your comments Timmie.

Having had access to both the Sony and the Sammy I feel the Sony delivers a more natural looking picture. I couldn't get the Sammy I played with looking natural on skin tones, there was also a green tint that I couldn't adjust out (green = 0).

But I do like the menus on the Sammy and the remote is easier to use than the Sony (can't believe I said that being a Sony fan). The Sony buttons are just too small. The Sony remote looks better but is too fiddley.

Also on the Sony (for my Grandma) its a real pain turning on the digital subtitles. MENU - SETUP - SETUP DIGITAL - SUBTITLES - BASIC. This I have just had to demo to my mum tonight, she was horrified and said she would use Analogue and text 888. Its a serious amount of key presses.

£240 is a big difference in cost... but its a Sony...

Please comment! Less than 12hrs to make decision!

Thanks.

borland

Noo said:
£240 is a big difference in cost... but its a Sony...

Thanks.
... and Sony use the same LCD panels from Samsung... If you don't know, Sony have shares in Samsung LCD manufacturing plant in Korea and get all their panels from there...

borland

Stuart Kirby said:
Same panel yep, but remember Sony make their own electronics to drive the panel.
OK it's personal and a lot of people are bushing Sumsung in every tread but I'm a very happy owner of Samsung with the superb PQs even via rgb scart. I compare it with my Sony CRT Wega which is not easy to beat.

I can't comment on the Sony S-series because I haven't spent enough time with one but if money is no object I would go for that over the Samsung. There's many reasons why, one of the main ones being that the Samsung's DNIe processing can't be turned off. According to some people on here it does more harm than good.

Noo

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies.

I have taken delivery of the Sony and am not disappointed.

I take the point that the Sony and Sammy share the same panels, but being in the software/electronics industry it is more about signal processing than the panel. We all know how appalling SD can look if it is intially over-compressed then poorly post processed. You only have to look at the budget brands (obviously not Sony or Samsung) to see how badly it can be done. I have a 3 year old LG in the kitchen and that can look pretty bad, what a difference 3 years can make. I believe LG are are a good brand but I think post processing has improved significantly since then.

IMHO I don't believe the Sony PQ is &#163;240 better than the Samsung but &#163;720 is a good price. What finally swung me was the fact I have had good experience with other sony products, CRTs 32DX50 and 32DX200 (still in lounge). They have both been great performers and I hope this LCD is also!

:)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom