• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

quick answer needed - brain gone dead!

The Spaniard

Established Member
Hi,

I have a Power Mac G5 with dual 2ghz processor, running leopard 10.5.1 and I have the latest version of VM Fusion.

Can I run windows XP on this machine?

SIP

Established Member
Hi

The answer as far as I know is No. You need an Intel processor not a Power PC chip.

I am just experimenting with Fusion at the moment, and having some problems. I have just checked the specs on the fusion site and the requirements are:

Any Intel Mac computer with a 1.5GHz or faster Intel processor
512MB of RAM (1GB or more recommended)
275MB free disk space for VMware Fusion
1GB free disk space for each virtual machine (10GB or more recommended)
Mac OS X version 10.4.9 or later

Regards

Philip

The Spaniard

Established Member
Thanks Philip,

That was what I thought but didn't know if there is any way around this?

Anyway else I can run it like a PC?

I could have swore blind you could do this before bootcamp and intel based macs?

markuswarren

Established Member
VMWare Fusion no, VirtualPC7, yes, that will run on a G5 and I'd presume it would run XP. As far as I am aware there is not dual boot solution for pre-Intel machines, thus you are limited to using virtual machine software

SIP

Established Member
Hi Gary

There are ways to run Windows on a PPC Mac, but not in the same league as running windows with an Intel base Mac - either using Bootcamp or a Virtual machine.

Here is a link from Mac Forums, which if you have not seen before, is a great place for answers. The link below describes the different ways to run Windows on various Macs.

www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41184&highlight=windows

I hope this has been of some use.

Regards

Philip

D

Deleted member 27989

On a powerpc the intel processor instruction set that Windows XP expects has to be emulated, on an intel processor it can take (and with VMWare fusion it will) use of the virtualisation technology....Or in other terms the former is very slow and the later is very fast....But as the name suggests VMWare is about virtual machines, not emulated machines....

Sorry you are out of luck....And with past experiences on G models I really can't recommend it, I found it a frustration experience....

The Spaniard

Established Member
Thanks guys - basically I have got a new quad core coming that I want to swap my G5 for - i.e. take my G5 to work where I need XP - hence the request.

I don't so much need XP (although I would like it) as I do the microsoft office applications (but not mac office).

Given that I only really want to run Office applications (mainly word, excel, outlook and internet explorer) will VirtualPC be up to the job?

The Spaniard

Established Member
Been having a good mooch around and have come across 'wine' and also 'cedegar - predominantly for games' but would either work?

D

Deleted member 27989

Found this on fleabay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MICROSOFT-VIR...Z189QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

SO.... if I got this would I be able to run XP and Office or could I just run Office without XP - it doesn't matter if I cant as I have got a 'proper' copy of XP with SP2.

That listing totally confuses me, the title is Office 2004 Mac with Virtual PC, the pictures suggest Virtual PC only, and it talks about Virtual PC with XP!

Just be careful what you are getting...

I find MS Office (for XP) a total memory hog, and would not expect it to run fluidly for everday use. Occasional use you could get away with it, but full time use no way....But what I don't understand is why you need it at all since if that is all you are going to use it for then there are Mac Apps that offer full comptability....

The Spaniard

Established Member
I think despite the confusing listing that it is virtual pc only but that is ok because I have XP and Office anyway. I even have Mac Office but dont use it very much - only at home at weekends - but am so used to windows word, excel and outlook express that I would like to stick with these if I can. I basically am always up to my ears in it and I could do without having to 'learn anything else' - the latest changes in Office 2007 have been bad enough!

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom