• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Quick aerial question - would THIS work?

Sir Arthur

I'm looking to hook up a freeview box for an upstairs room. My house, however doesn't have a chimney to attach an aerial to, so I'm looking at an unobtrusive wall mounted aerial for the front of the house. My postcode is CM16 4xx, which Wolfbane suggests needs a high gain aerial for London broadcasts.

Will this be good enough for the job?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Outdoor-Digital-Freeview-HD-TV-DVB-Aerial-Booster_W0QQitemZ220288759608QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220288759608&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

malcolmk

It might if you were lucky but it's not ideal. It's wideband for a start and with Crystal Palace a Group A aerial is most effective in terms of size versus gain.

Sir Arthur

Hmmm. I'm sometimes lucky, but not always. Any recommendations for a similar type of unit?

radioredcat

To be honest i would doubt it would work but it's on of those things (suck it and see job) the only trouble is you have to spend the money and then find it's no good.
I would advise a decent aerial and a wall bracket.

andy

MarkE19

Well I also receive TV from Crystal Palace and I have a Yagi18A aerial bought from Here. I spoke to them on the phone and they recommended this over a Log Periodic due to the fact that I was installing it in my loft.
the Yagi18A is a big aerial, but being band specific it will give the best possible reception for a band A transmitter. A log periodic may well be ok, but not band specific and not recommended for weak signal areas.

Mark.

malcolmk

Hmmm. I'm sometimes lucky, but not always. Any recommendations for a similar type of unit?
I'd go with what MarkE19 says. If I had to guess I'd say your Ebay aerial will be disappointing or maybe a total waste of money. Either way it is a gimmicky gadget when you need solid engineering for reliable Freeview. :lesson:

Last edited:

fernandez

Distinguished Member
I'd go with MarkE19 says. If I had to guess I'd say your Ebay aerial will be disappointing or maybe a total waste of money. Either way it is a gimmicky gadget when you need solid engineering for reliable Freeview. :lesson:

Looking at the specs of the ebay aerial, it states 20db gain but this includes the gain of the amplifier.
There would probably be more noise than signal being amplified which would lead to very poor results.
It seems a very flimsy, lightweight item (especially 'light' when the postage is only £1.99)

scribbler101

I'm looking to hook up a freeview box for an upstairs room. My house, however doesn't have a chimney to attach an aerial to, so I'm looking at an unobtrusive wall mounted aerial for the front of the house. My postcode is CM16 4xx, which Wolfbane suggests needs a high gain aerial for London broadcasts.

Will this be good enough for the job?

Outdoor Digital Freeview HD TV DVB Aerial & Booster on eBay, also, Freeview Aerials, Satellite Cable Freeview, Consumer Electronics (end time 11-Oct-08 21:46:28 BST)
The CM16 generic postcode does not look too bad a signal at 53dBuV/m, but your precise location may differ. Do you have line of sight to C Pal? If so a conventional ae mounted outside may well work. Or better still a pole sticking up. See the aerials link on the FAQs.

What reception do thje locals get?

Sir Arthur

I think it's going to be a case of using the aerial that was attached to the chimney before we had it removed. We are on top of a hill, but the wall faces away from CP. Ironically the wall with the Sky dish does have a line of sight to SE London.

Maybe I can persuade the builders to roof mount it, but alas the scaffolding was taken down last week.

Are in-loft installs a no-no then?

Sonic67

Banned
Loft installs cut down the signal so it depends on what it was in the first place. What do your neighbours have? Use that as a rule of thumb.

scribbler101

In-loft ae are a definite maybe. Can't you mount the TV Ae on the wall facing CP and lead over/round the building?

Sir Arthur

In-loft ae are a definite maybe. Can't you mount the TV Ae on the wall facing CP and lead over/round the building?

I think that may be the way forward.

EDIT - just looked on Google Maps -it seems the front wall (ie. the one nearest the TV) does have the line of sight to Crystal Palace. Sort of 10 degrees to to the house, but doable. A pole on the wall and the aerial can point the correct way.

Sorted. Now time to find some other tweak the house needs...

Last edited:

scribbler101

I am no expert but think only 10 degrees from the face of the wall might give difficulties; eg from reflected signal. Could it go on a corner? Or the pole be mounted a foot or so away from the wall?

You could try asking the man who did the link on aerials from the FAQs. Or contact a local ae fitter, who might give his knowledge for free - or might be worth paying to get the problem solved. I don't begrudge the £90 I paid for supply and fitting of a suitable ae after a storm took my old, not very good one.

Sir Arthur

Looks like we're going to have it mounted on a pole at the peak of the pitched roof and thereby able to be point anywhere. May double as a lightning conductor as well!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom