1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick advice please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Alan Pressley, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Alan Pressley

Alan Pressley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I recently bought a Themescene H56 projector and have been looking get a decent DVD player to go with it.
    I had been leaning towards a Pioneer 757 (£400 delivered) but someone suggested a HCPC would give me better results.
    I am not very technically minded so dont want anything complicated.

Is it possible to use a HCPC and get great results without being a PC expert?

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    If you don't want anything complicated then stay away from a HCPC, by their nature they are not as straightforward as set top boxes.

BUT, this website is full of lots of info and helpful people so if you fancied having a go at it I'm sure you could get it up and running, it'll just take a bit of effort.

Owain

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Alan, i have just built my first hcpc which came in at £375 + os. Since i now have this set up i no longer use my pio 757 infact this has now found its way to the other room and very rarely used. Its not the fact that the 757 is bad it is just that the hcpc is just so good.

I was not really that technical but am learning more each day, especially with the help of these forums. The HCPC also opens up a whole new arena to dvd i.e juke box facilities etc. I also just use it like a dvd player i.e power it up then go into powerdvd and i am watching a movie, excellent :thumbsup:

5. Alan Pressley

Alan Pressley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone.

PQ is my first priority, but ease of use is close second, so am still undecided.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    PQ-wise the choice has to be HTPC .. with a £50 video card and £40 software player in any entry-level PC you'll get results varying for 'better' to 'miles better' than a separate DVD player.

The downside is that it's less convenient, having to boot the PC for instance, but you can get some reasonable 'home theatre' software and a remote control to make it easier to play and navigate DVDs.

I can definitely say my HTPC beats my Pioneer 868av in PQ even when the player's in HDMI mode. Not by very much it's true, but other features such as custom A/R settings in TheaterTek and convenience of playing DVDs off hard disk make it much more preferable to use in most cases.

7. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Why not have a go with the PC you already have, download the software and give it a whirl. see what you think, if it seems relatively simple to get going then maybe think about a dedicated HCPC. Like I said before there are loads of people who are more than willing to help out if you get stuck.

With some effort and time its possible to make a HCPC which is very reliable and even easy for strangers to use, its just about you doing the work on it, not the R&D team at a STB manufacturers!