Quick A85 speaker terminal question...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Graham27, Jan 13, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Graham27

Graham27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    ... if you'd be so kind :)

I'm about to order some speaker cable, but I'm unsure what's the best connection to use for the A85 end. My amp has the (dreaded ?) BFA terminals.

I'm not sure of many people who do BFA connectors any more, and I'm looking for pre-terminated cables, so really I'm just looking for the simplest option. I'm guessing spades are the way forward. If so, could someone advise if it's standard or wide spades I'd need ?

I'm at a different location to my amp currently, and the online handbook is no use either, so I have no way of checking, therefore I'm hopeful some of the fine folk on here may be able to advise me.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

2. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308
    You can use standard banana plugs, but you must push them through the 'side' hole, rather than into the end. It actually takes up less room at the rear of the unit.

If you get banana plugs terminated onto your cable, you will be ok if you ever change your amp. And if you upgrade your cables at any time, you will have the biggest market and chance of selling if they have standard bananas on.

I have mine connected in this manner and it's fine.

Graham

3. Graham27

Graham27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Thanks, that I did not realise :thumbsup:

Just had an email back from Ecosse too (quite amazed at getting a reply on a Sunday night!) and they seemingly do a hollow type banana which also fits.

Not having the amp to hand to look at, I'm struggling to think of how these solutions work, but I'm very grateful that they do !

Still a little curious about the spades though (especially as Ecosse mention on their site that spades are their preferred type of termination)so if anyone knows what size the A85 takes, I'd still love to know !

4. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    There are loads on E-Bay - I got some a couple of weeks ago - £7.95 for 4 I think.

5. Graham27

Graham27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Thanks, but I'm looking for them pre-terminated, though I s'pose it isn't too hard to fit a few BFA's !

Stone Audio do both the Milty BFA plugs (which can adapt to become standard bananas) and QED Airlocs for the speaker end, so I'm just having a looky through their site to see what cables they have.

BlueMax's idea seems like a winner, but I just can't picture it ! I collect my amp from storage tomorrow though, so I'l have a look at the terminals.

6. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308
    I must just add that this works well with the Chord bananas as they are not very bulky. You may have an issue with larger ones. Hope it works for you.

Graham