quick 605/606 question

M

macachiaMT

Hi,

my 606 has a max volume of 95 (apparently). Am I to understand that each 1 digit increase from the remote (or the receiver itself) correspond to 1 watt?

Thanks
mac

my 606 has a max volume of 95 (apparently). Am I to understand that each 1 digit increase from the remote (or the receiver itself) correspond to 1 watt?

That would be wrong , the 605/606 just splits the audible range up using those numbers , they do not correspond 1 to 1 with wattage.

Max volumes and volume scales on equipment don't really correspond to any particular ratio as such. There's no point to them really other than for personal reference.

Hi,

Thanks
mac

As the others say, the volume number is unlikely to indicate watts. One reason for this is that equal steps in power e.g. 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 10 to 11, etc would not sound as equal steps to the ear. Our ears use a logarithmic scale and to get apparently equal steps in volume, you would need to multiply by a constant amount, not add a constant amount, e.g. 1 to 2, 2 to 4, 4 to 8, 50 to 100 etc. So, if the numbers actually represented powers, the change between the higher numbers would be almost unnoticeable.

You may be able to get above 95 by playing with the speaker levels. If any of your speakers has a positive adjustment then the amp is sending a stronger signal to that channel. The limit appears to be 99 or 100 (I forget) but as soon as one channel hits that, it stops. There is a bit in the manual that explains this.

This suggests that the volume numbers may be interpreted as dB (see below). If so, regard 100 (or whatever the max is) as full power, 90 will be 10 dB below that, 80 will be 20dB below etc.

That is just speculation and, even if I am right, I would not expect it to be very accurate. Just regard the numbers as a rough indication of volume on an arbitrary scale. For example, I regard 50 as typical, 55 as a bit loud, 60 as very loud and the most I ever want. For even this idea to work, you may need to play with the input levels so that different sources sound as loud when played at the same setting.

It is common to use dB (decibels) to measure volumes though they are not just for sound and are actually a measure of relative power. A power ratio is measured in Bels by taking the logarithm to the base 10 of the ratio. So, a 1 Bel increase would mean 10 times the power. A 2 Bel increase would be 10 x 10 = 100 times the power. A 1 Bel decrease would mean 0.1 of the power etc. The Bel is a rather large unit and the decibel (tenth of a Bel) has become more commonly used. So 10dB = 1 Bel means 10 times the power. Be careful, 5dB does not mean 5 times the power. Since two increments of 5dB would be 10dB which means 10 times the power, 5dB must mean the square root of 10 times the power and hence slightly over 3 times the power. It turns out that 3dB means about twice the power.

Hi,

Thanks
mac

Our senses work on a logarithmic scale - e.g. we would notice an increase form 0.1W to 1W as the same factor as 1W to 10W so level controls on AV equipment work logarthimically as well.

my max volume is 79:rolleyes: but i think that has summat to do with the audessy set up

my max volume is 79:rolleyes: but i think that has summat to do with the audessy set up

That's pretty low. Have a look at your speaker levels, if my theory is correct, one of them is set to +20dB so it maxes out when the overall volume is 79. That would be a big correction, do you have one of your surround speakers in a cupboard or behind a curtain?

There is a bit in the trouble shooting section of the manual about this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom