QUESTions

Warriors2010

Morning all,

just started looking into the Quest 2 and looking for peoples thoughts & opinions on it.

iv always been an Xbox gamer, although I seem to have lost my mojo for Xbox gaming over the last 12 months or so and rarely use it if I’m honest. I was looking for inspiration yesterday to revive my gaming experience and happened across the Occulus Quest 2, which looked quite interesting.

it’s quite a lot of money to drop on something iv never even seen in the flesh, so I’m interested in what people who have one think about it, or any better alternatives. I class myself as a casual gamer, so the price point of the quest 2 is appealing.

few questions:
am I right in say that it is a completely stand alone item? ie, no wires connected to something else somewhere? If so, what’s the battery life like on the units?

I can see two different options available, a 128Gb and a 256Gb version. Do I assume that the games etc are stored on the Quest itself? If so, how much content can you fit onto the unit (average) and how are they installed (Wi-Fi/Bluetooth?)

continuing from above, would I be right in saying that content can be installed and removed (if running out of space) as you would any other modern storage device?

how much content is there available and are games still being made regularly and will this continue to be the case, or is the VR thing already dying off?

how good are the games, quality wise, quantity wise etc. Bear in mind the games I am used to on Xbox, are these as good, better, no where near as good?

other than games, what other type of content is available for the quest 2?

Is the only content available that which is on the occulus store, or is there more available from third parties, if so what and where from?

what are the pros/cons?

apologies for what may well be some basic question, but any help is appreciated.

cheers.

scotthillier

Honestly if you've never tried vr before it's going to blow your mind.
Yes it's standalone. No wires. It's going from strength to strength in this format sadly pcvr isnt building quite so well due to so many people going for the standalone route.
Graphics aren't as good as a modern console but they don't need to be because suddenly youre IN the game. Things feel life size and that's the thrill.
Buy one, no question. Make Superhot your first game as it's a proper VR experience and allows you to play it at your own speed (things only move when you do, so you can stand and think, but still makes you feel like an action hero) and get used to the joy of VR.

I don't tend to bother with anything other than games so can't help you there. There is a decent thing called sidequest for cheap/free homemade experiences though they tend to be more basic.

128 is plenty as you really only need to keep 10 games on there at once as how many games do you really need to swap between regularly?

Jump in.

SourKraut

Morning all,

just started looking into the Quest 2 and looking for peoples thoughts & opinions on it.

iv always been an Xbox gamer, although I seem to have lost my mojo for Xbox gaming over the last 12 months or so and rarely use it if I’m honest. I was looking for inspiration yesterday to revive my gaming experience and happened across the Occulus Quest 2, which looked quite interesting.

it’s quite a lot of money to drop on something iv never even seen in the flesh, so I’m interested in what people who have one think about it, or any better alternatives. I class myself as a casual gamer, so the price point of the quest 2 is appealing.

few questions:
am I right in say that it is a completely stand alone item? ie, no wires connected to something else somewhere? If so, what’s the battery life like on the units?

I can see two different options available, a 128Gb and a 256Gb version. Do I assume that the games etc are stored on the Quest itself? If so, how much content can you fit onto the unit (average) and how are they installed (Wi-Fi/Bluetooth?)

continuing from above, would I be right in saying that content can be installed and removed (if running out of space) as you would any other modern storage device?

how much content is there available and are games still being made regularly and will this continue to be the case, or is the VR thing already dying off?

how good are the games, quality wise, quantity wise etc. Bear in mind the games I am used to on Xbox, are these as good, better, no where near as good?

other than games, what other type of content is available for the quest 2?

Is the only content available that which is on the occulus store, or is there more available from third parties, if so what and where from?

what are the pros/cons?

apologies for what may well be some basic question, but any help is appreciated.

cheers.
Thank you for putting these questions to those that already have a VR kit.

My relatives want to get me something for my birthday in January, and I was wondering about this system.
I also have an Xbox Series X and a Switch, but I’m thinking this is something the will give me quite a different experience.

Last edited:

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
+1 to above. Its a lot of kit for the money and added to that IF you decide you want more it is a competent pcvr device too.

Most genres are covered one way or another and some titles cost very little.
Make sure you get a referal and you get £23 to spend on games. PM an existing owner on here if you need to .

I love my quest 2 and finding I use it at least as much in standalone as I do on my pc.

IMO the biggest hurdle vr has to get over is screenshots do not do it justice. You just have to try it

SourKraut

Unfortunately I only have an iMac, and I believe that this only works with MS Windows

rss

Seems if you buy direct from Oculus they've extended the 'trial' period from 30 to 60 days which should give you plenty of time to see if VR is for you or not!

rss

I noticed that John Lewis give a 2yr warranty if bought from them
I bought my Q1 from them, no problems. Q2 direct from Oculus, again no problems to date.

I think you'll be blown away by the Quest. VR is only going to get better and better, there were reports recently via Qualcomm who said around 10m produced so far. Lots of people I know are getting them now for xmas, many of them never been gamers.

Warriors2010

Unfortunately I only have an iMac, and I believe that this only works with MS Windows
Really?? I find that hard to believe. If the games etc run direct from the Quest, why would you need a PC or Mac anyway, what would it be for?

SourKraut

Yeah, I know it’s a stand-alone piece of equipment, but it does have the option of linking up to a Windows PC from what I can gather.

rss

Really?? I find that hard to believe. If the games etc run direct from the Quest, why would you need a PC or Mac anyway, what would it be for?

SideQuest is a PC application that allows to you install software etc that isn't downloaded directly from the Oculus store.

For example there are lots of games/apps etc that are early in development or couldn't get past Oculus QA processes (although Oculus now have an AppLab part of the store for this kind of content).

It's not necessary, you can completely ignore it and play hundreds of games etc.. from the Oculus store.

Alternatively, you can hook up your Quest to a PC in order to run PC VR games (e.g. Half Life Alyx). The Quest kind of becomes the monitor and PC does the donkey work. For graphics etc then this is the best scenario but obviously a high-spec PC is needed and costly!

Warriors2010

So other than gaming, what else is the quest 2 capeable of?

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
So other than gaming, what else is the quest 2 capeable of?
You can watch media on it, both cinema stuff and actual vr video. (I recommend the David Attenborough stuff on it for free on the quest store), there are live sporting and concert evenings broadcast in VR

There is edutainment stuff on (eg there is a vr version of the data collected from the Mars rover iirc), there is stuff about Apollo 13, the galaxy, the Titanic, climbing Everest and more (possibly in PCVR mode)

Related to gaming but it is used as a fun fitness device. Play thrill of the fight for 12 rounds then tell me you can't get fit in VR!!!

I think some companies use it as a sales platform (ie looking at a car in VR you may be interested in and iirc IKEA were working on a vr store, not sure what came of that)

Broad strokes for vr in general

VR has been used to help treat those with PSD also for people who are bed ridden etc it is a great way to let them travel to places they will never be able to go to to improve quality of life.

it's used in medical training however that is doubtful the quest they would use.

Mostly however for most people it's a gaming device and media player

Last edited:

Warriors2010

You can watch media on it, both cinema stuff and actual vr video. (I recommend the David Attenborough stuff on it for free on the quest store), there are live sporting and concert evenings broadcast in VR

There is edutainment stuff on (eg there is a vr version of the data collected from the Mars rover iirc), there is stuff about Apollo 13, the galaxy, the Titanic, climbing Everest and more (possibly in PCVR mode)

Related to gaming but it is used as a fun fitness device. Play thrill of the fight for 12 rounds then tell me you can't get fit in VR!!!

I think some companies use it as a sales platform (ie looking at a car in VR you may be interested in and iirc IKEA were working on a vr store, not sure what came of that)

Broad strokes for vr in general

VR has been used to help treat those with PSD also for people who are bed ridden etc it is a great way to let them travel to places they will never be able to go to to improve quality of life.

it's used in medical training however that is doubtful the quest they would use.

Mostly however for most people it's a gaming device and media player
When you say cinema stuff, you mean stuff shot specifically for VR or anything goes?

with regards the PCVR mode, is that windows PC only, or is it Mac compatible?

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I presume cinema stuff meaning just watching films through it, making it like you’re sat in front of a massive cinema screen.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
When you say cinema stuff, you mean stuff shot specifically for VR or anything goes?

with regards the PCVR mode, is that windows PC only, or is it Mac compatible?
Both. Cinema apps in VR are great esp if you have a small pad with no room for a massive TV. But the Attenborough stuff I mentioned is shot for vr. As for Mac.... No idea sorry. Ultimately Mac's are not good gaming machines as shown by games like elite having to ditch support as opengl is so far behind on them

I would look at the video reviews of the top selling VR games to get idea of what its like. Mostly games are very simple compared to "full" PC/console games. But they feel different because your in it. Personally I found my Quest fun and like nothing else on the PC/console due to the immersion but there are very few games that I really enjoyed. Mostly felt like demos or short but sweet experiences (Vader immortal was good for example if you like starwars) Also The quest games that run on the quest itself are basically running on high end phone hardware, where as linked games that use a gaming PC to run them and have a wired connetion to the quest to stream the game into the helmet have better graphics. But of course you need a good gaming PC for those (check out "Half life Alyx" to see what the Quest can do with a PC but not without)

I enjoyed it but I would temper your expectations, there's a reason why so few big VR games get made and why everyone and the dog doesnt have one today. Its getting better but I think its still a rather novelty item largely.

Warriors2010

Mrs warriors has asked Father Christmas to get me the Quest 2. With just the one headset, can we both have individual profiles, but share the same games?

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Mrs warriors has asked Father Christmas to get me the Quest 2. With just the one headset, can we both have individual profiles, but share the same games?
This feature was added in the last update...... so yes you can.

of course you could always refer her, Very are doing some nice deals at the momnet, £240 for a quest 2 if you set up a new account and then you and the mrs would have another £46 of store credit between you... that way you can play together :)

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
Anyone know where you can find live sporting events and concerts in VR? I got a Quest 2 on Cyber Monday....loving it, as are the family.

Warriors2010

of course you could always refer her, Very are doing some nice deals at the momnet, £240 for a quest 2 if you set up a new account and then you and the mrs would have another £46 of store credit between you... that way you can play together :)

We will be sticking with the one headset. Thanks for the link, I’ll take a look later 👍🏻

busterbenny2001

Distinguished Member

is there a code for this very offer? Thanks

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
is there a code for this very offer? Thanks

i just saw this here but not looked into it.

seems to be WELCOME but you have to set up a new credit account with them.

busterbenny2001

Distinguished Member

i just saw this here but not looked into it.

seems to be WELCOME but you have to set up a new credit account with them.
Thanks worked perfectly set up account paid off in full on debit card immediately quest 2 plus elite strap and battery £315 delivered, thanks for the tip guys

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

dCS announces Bartók 2.0 firmware upgrade
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audiovector unveils QR 7 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification