• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Questions

Lee86

I'm struggling to find a job at the moment, so I had an idea come into my head and that is to earn a bit of money while I look for a proper job.

I was wondering about going about offering to clean peoples drive ways for £20 or is that too much/too little? Would you pay someone to clean your drive?

Or is it a stupid idea...:confused:

simon ess

IMO definitely not a stupid idea.

Careful though - my brother's driveway is 200 yards long.

This may be contentious but one of the few areas of American culture I like is that people tend to give guys like you a break on the basis that you're trying. In this country we tend to be a bit more suspicious, or less enterprise minded, or something.

Give it a go and good luck.

nheather

Distinguished Member
We have block paving round our way.

Last weekend a couple of guys called at the houses asking if they wanted them pressure washed. Not sure how much it was because they didn't get round to us - perhaps next weekend but I'd say they had more than a days work - plenty of interest.

Reckon people would have paid around £50 per drive (based on what I would pay and the affluence of the area). But is it a good business.

Reckon they did 6. That's £300 total, £150 each. Minus the setup costs etc. Plus, can you maintain it 5 or 7 days a week and throughout the year.

Reckon it's good for a dollop of seasonal money but you'd need your finger in other pies aswell to make a living.

Cheers,

Nigel

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
£20 wouldn't cover your running costs, presuming you was going to use a van with a tank full of water & running the pump with a diesel generator?

Minimum £65 but negotiable on the length etc

Good luck.

Lee86

£20 wouldn't cover your running costs, presuming you was going to use a van with a tank full of water & running the pump with a diesel generator?

Minimum £65 but negotiable on the length etc

Good luck.

I'd just use a normal pressure washer, thats what im worried about because I'd have to use peoples hose pipes.

I did our front drive last year - about 60 sq m. Took me a full weekend to do a good job, including re-sanding between the bricks. Would probably have paid 100ish to have someone just come and do it. Would have been a lot faster if it was continuous concrete :)

Thats also a worry about brick drive ways blasting the sand out and ruining their drive.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Thats also a worry about brick drive ways blasting the sand out and ruining their drive.

You make that a selling point.

You take some sand with you, and you describe that whilst some cleaners blast the sand out of the drive, you provide a professional service topping up the sand. Cost a little more but the quality is worth it and will ensure the long life of your drive madam. Add an extra £10 to the price.

Makes it look like you know your business.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

Lee86

You make that a selling point.

You take some sand with you, and you describe that whilst some cleaners blast the sand out of the drive, you provide a professional service topping up the sand. Cost a little more but the quality is worth it and will ensure the long life of your drive madam. Add an extra £10 to the price.

Makes it look like you know your business.

Cheers,

Nigel

Good idea, but just using a normal pressure washer isnt very professional is it?

Unsure what to do now.

Foster

Distinguished Member
What about cleaning cars dude :p

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
Gutter cleanup? Dead leaves, over flowing gutters etc.

Offer them a discount if they recommend you. Give discount after they recommend - repeat referrals...

NewfieDrool

Banned
The trick Lee is to know the materials used for drives from block paving to PIC, having equipment that does the job correctly and fast. While you will get away blasting the life out of some materials others will not fair so well. My friends place is PIC and the drive looks like decking and power washing it can damage top part of the material where the colouring is added and it's damn expensive to repair. A 2 foot square area was damaged by a utility company and the bill came to just under £3000 which the utility company paid for.
I would guess you will be asked to clean other areas as well and it's where you need to be careful. Blasting the life out of a patio that's covered in crap only to find you've blasted the joints to death, or you're asked to clean some impregnated stone work only to find you've lifted the top layer off the material.
Dealing with the general public in practice sounds easy but reality you will find it can be a total nightmare at times. You don't know who you are dealing with or what they do for a living and there are regs involved when quoting over a set figure when you attend a property.

I'm not trying to put you down but just be careful as nothing is what it quite seems and people tend to be damn fussy when paying for a service.

Last edited:

shodan

Distinguished Member
I always recommend attending pubs and restaurants looking for work. They normally have a high turnover of staff so there may be vacancies, and working behind a bar can be a great fun job. If it paid what I earn now, I'd still be doing it.

Good luck

DrWise

Banned
wash cars :) i remember my friend doing this was making £5-10
and didn't have an issue with using peoples tap to run the hose pipe from or electrical supply

shahedz

Distinguished Member
I think the patio/drive way cleaning could be a good idea.

The only thing is with the amount of rip off merchants door to door knocking may not be the best way.

To get a warmer response I would drop off leaflets in the area with your details, ideally with before and after shots of some drives and say you will be knocking in the next week or two-or they can call you in advance to book.

I would trust that more than someone just knocking at my door.

Dextur

Distinguished Member
We're seeing more and more of this around our development.

In the last three months I've taken on two services from people who got off their asses and knocked on my door offering services I don't want to do myself.

I wouldn't bother with car cleaning though, I can take to a little place near us and for £9 they do an amazing job outside and a mini valet inside, Hoover, mat clean, quick polish.

Couple of Polish guys, they even t-cutted out a scratch for me.

nheather

Distinguished Member
I agree - washing a cars is a nasty job.

I'm betting that when you do your own you go to the sink and use nice warm water. Not only is it nicer on your hands but it cleans dirt off easier.

When someone comes round to clean a car they get shown to the outside tap - you don't want the inconvenience of them marching through your house every refill. Washing with cold water is much harder and naster if the weather is less than sunny.

Then there is the fact that it is a lot of work for comparitively little money - especially with the competition from the supermarket guys.

Then there is the fact that people are a lot more particular about their cars than most other things and will check your work with a proverbial magnifying glass.

Then there is the risks of scratches, ones that you accidentially do, or more worryingly ones that were there before that the opportunist owner then tries to blame on you.

Personally I wouldn't do it - drives over cars any day.

Cheers,

Nigel

Duncan G

I'm struggling to find a job at the moment, so I had an idea come into my head and that is to earn a bit of money while I look for a proper job.

I was wondering about going about offering to clean peoples drive ways for £20 or is that too much/too little? Would you pay someone to clean your drive?

Or is it a stupid idea...:confused:

You wait till the traveling fraternity find out you are undercutting them.....

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
I cleaned my drive the other week with a pressure washer. Including sweeping and scrubbing, it took hours and I was soaked and dirty by the end. I wouldn't dream of doing something like this for only £20, it's way, way too cheap as there's quite a lot of work involved. Why don't you knock up some leaflets, you can get 5000 for £60 if you design them yourself, knock up a website, which you can do for practically nothing and charge a better rate where you'll make some money? I think if you had a proper service people would pay a lot more than £20, in fact it would be in the £100s. Do a bit of research into drive materials etc so you know what you're talking about and don't cause any damage. You can even signwrite your car for practically bugger all with your website and the service you offer to add a bit more of a professional touch.

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
If you base your business around the pressure washer rather than what gets cleaned, it may broaden your horizons. Pressure wash drives, but also garden walls, other walls etc etc. Then, it isn't a great leap to being able to spray moss removal stuff onto a roof and loads of other things too.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Last edited:

rousetafarian

Just as an idea, a local entrepreneur (read man in a van with a generator and pressure washer) decided that he was going to follow the local bin collectors and offer to sanitise people's waste bins and recycling bins twice every month at £2.00/house/clean.

He has a monopoly on my small development of 120 properties and once he did a full 'round' he has 100% retention as we expect clean bins twice a month.

One small development of 120 houses at £4.00/month = £480.00/month cash in hand.....it's an awesome idea as you see him following the garbage trucks smiling from development to development....oh and we don't get rats!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom