Questions questions questions.

Jed

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a 5 (I think) year old Panasonic NV-DS29 minDV camcorder.
Has had very little use due to me being too lazy to compress or whatever you call it on a PC to make a DVD.
It's the wife's really but she make's me do all the donkey work.
Well it takes far too long.

Going on holiday later on in the year to Florida what if we get wet??

So i am on the lookout for something a little simpler like a HDD or Compact Flash. (Wife wants these because they are smaller :suicide: )
Will todays technology (SD card,HDD) be any better than our old Panny.

Ideally she wants a one with everything. Waterproof,dustproof,bombproof,jeddieproof. You know the normal woman thing. I have told her that she for the waterproof,dustproof and as small as possible side she can only go for the Panasonic SDR SW20 thinghttp://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-SDR-SW20-Camcorder-Review-35018.htm# . (Which does look like good fun but how bad can the quality be, please someone have one and give a mini review)

Next up i said is the Panasonic SDR S7 (Will this be on par with my old Panny?) Look's a nifty little camera but worried about early USER reviews.

Then i found the JVC verio thingy Look's pretty good.

Max i want to pay is £250 Usage will be very little but maybe a bit more than usual if both of us can operate and make dvd out of it.

If anyone wants to know anything else about my requirements please ask.

Please Help.

Jeddie.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
£250 will not get you an HDD or SD card camcorder with quality as good as your MiniDV model
And although transfer to PC will be quick,, making a DVD may be as slow if any reencoding to DVD happens

I would suggest you not be to quick to ditch your MiniDV and get to grips with using it
If you want to make DVDs without hassle, buy a Settop DVD recorder and hook up the MiniDV to it by firewire , You could make a DVD on the time it takes to copy the DVD to DVD settop recorder and bypass the PC
Otherwise
Up your budget a bit for suggestions of half decent HDD or card camcorders

I have a 5 (I think) year old Panasonic NV-DS29 minDV camcorder.
Has had very little use due to me being too lazy to compress or whatever you call it on a PC to make a DVD.
It's the wife's really but she make's me do all the donkey work.
Well it takes far too long.

Going on holiday later on in the year to Florida what if we get wet??

So i am on the lookout for something a little simpler like a HDD or Compact Flash. (Wife wants these because they are smaller :suicide: )
Will todays technology (SD card,HDD) be any better than our old Panny.

Ideally she wants a one with everything. Waterproof,dustproof,bombproof,jeddieproof. You know the normal woman thing. I have told her that she for the waterproof,dustproof and as small as possible side she can only go for the Panasonic SDR SW20 thinghttp://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-SDR-SW20-Camcorder-Review-35018.htm# . (Which does look like good fun but how bad can the quality be, please someone have one and give a mini review)

Next up i said is the Panasonic SDR S7 (Will this be on par with my old Panny?) Look's a nifty little camera but worried about early USER reviews.

Then i found the JVC verio thingy Look's pretty good.

Max i want to pay is £250 Usage will be very little but maybe a bit more than usual if both of us can operate and make dvd out of it.

If anyone wants to know anything else about my requirements please ask.

Please Help.

Jeddie.

It also depends on where you intend on getting wet? Ive been to orlando 18 times. You dont tend to take camcorders to the water parks because there isnt anywhere to leave them when you all go off on the slides. In the theme parks if you go on a wet ride then you put the camcorder in a case and it is covered anyway. If it was me I would go for better quality than paying extra to have waterproof etc. Hope that helps

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom