• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Questions on the Loftbox and cabling

davidnorthants

Standard Member
Hi was wondering if somebody could give me some help. I'm in the process of future proofing the house and flooding it with cable. I'm installing cat5 / cat6 / coax . I'm using the cat 5 for data, cat 6 for HDAnywhere, coax for loftbox SD tv in unimportant rooms e.g spare bedrooms.
I have basically run 2x cat5 / 2x cat6 / 1x coax to nearly every room in the house including bathrooms and all the cables will be terminated in the loft where all the equipment will be .

My questions are these
1. Is this enough cable to be able to Install HDAnywhere ?
2. Will I be able to put my sky box in the loft with the rest of the equipment and use the hdmi output to connect into the HDAnywhere matrix and then the RF2 output on my sky straight into the loftbox to distribute the sky around the house?
3. Am I right in thinking I can also add a digital aerial and fm aerial into the loftbox and send these down the same single coax to each location? Will I lose any quality in doing this ? Can I also buy 1 single face plate that splits this coax feed into fm and tv?

I appreciate any help people can give me.

Thanks David

AndySV1K

Standard Member
I would be very nervous of installing any equipment in the loft, as it's likely to experience temperature extremes.

The loftbox will be fine as its all simple electronics, but start putting sky boxes or amplifiers or processors etc where there are moving parts and significant heat generation and you are asking for problems.

Andy.

davidnorthants

Standard Member
Have been up there the last few weekends when it has been hot outside up to 27 degrees and it was very cool hence my decision to put it all up there. In fact being on the 4th floor including ground I found there to be a bit of a breeze.

davidnorthants

Standard Member
LLAutomation said:
What sort of budget do you have for equipment??

Not a lot!!! Lol I just want to get the infrastructure in first then I can add bits as I do up the rooms. But thinking a loftbox and HDAnywhere 4x4 matrix.

AndySV1K

Standard Member
Don't forget there are two extremes, not one.

Plus its fast swings in temperature that will also harm.

Just my opinion though.

Andy.

davidnorthants

Standard Member
AndySV1K said:
Don't forget there are two extremes, not one.

Plus its fast swings in temperature that will also harm.

Just my opinion though.

Andy.

Yes I thought about that also. Was thinking of putting a server cabinet up there so that all the equipment is together to keep them all snug and warm in the cold periods. What do you think?

Linx08

Established Member
I've tried stuff in the loft on an install I did years ago, my advise DON'T do it. It didn't work out very well come the winter.

Kind regards

Linx

vex

Prominent Member
In theory if it is cool up there now, then it is insulated at the rafters rather than on the roof joists. Also if it is cool in this heat then the same will be true in the winter when it will stay warmer.

Insulation doesn't just work for heat.

Huh

V.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom