Questions on Plasma vs LCD in 42 inch size

E

ensyed

I am on the cusp of buying a flat panel TV. I had settled on a 42 inch plasma either Fuji or Panny5. But I hear that the a whole new set of LCDs are coming out soon which are supposed to be better.

In the 42 inch size will the newer LCDs look as good as the current plasmas? On another thread in this forum there was a debate about whether the LCD will take over the plasma in the 20-30 inch size. Are the same arguments valid in the 42 inch or is a plasma still going to be better.

Will the 42 inch LCD cost less or more than similar plasmas?

In stores the plasmas looked better to me than the LCDs.

I am in a hurry bc rt now I have no TV at all and have to order it on Monday.

Thanks

Plasmas and LCDs have a different look. Everybody will say that one, or the other is 'better'. I'd say, the one isn't 'better' than the other; they are just different. Which leaves it down to personal preference.

As for price - I'd be surprised if a big LCD will come in at less than a mid-priced Plasma in the realy near future, although I do think it likely that LCD prices at large sizes will continue to fall. As, indeed will Plasmas. Whether the one will overtake the other still remains to be seen, I think.

One point to note: the relatively cheap Plasmas (eg the GBP2.5k Daewoo in Dixon$) have low resolution. Larger LCDs all have higher resolution, as do the more expensive Plasmas.

(There will now follow the inevitable barrage of comment from satisfied Plasma owners as to why Plasma is actually better than LCD. And they'll all be right - in their opinion.)

One key advantage of the new LCD's well the monitor ones, is that they are 1280x720, ie square pixel 16:9 AND high res. There is no plasma on the market to compete with that, yes you mxe owners that means you! If you use a HCPC, this is a serious advantage, maybe enough to outweigh the lack of contrast. I'm giving serious consideration to the new Iiyama panel, the 40". Even at a £4k + price ticket, it might still be worth it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom