Questions on HTPC from an Idiot

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by nickb23, Mar 13, 2006.

1. nickb23

nickb23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi All,

Unfortunatley I don't, and for the forseeable future, won't have any funds (or space) to have a home cinema setup. BUT I am really interested in the whole HTPC scene. As a bit of a newbie, I have a couple of questions that I was wondering someone could help me with:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me if I am wrong / stupid on any of the points below....

In an ideal setup, I presume you would have all your DVD's ripped onto a raid as ISO's. I am talking a few Terrabytes here, which now can cost as little as a couple of grand. Is there software that will identify the ISO's of the DVD's as films, and play them without having to load them on a virtual drive. This infact will turn you raid into a DVD jukebox, which would be great right?? I can do this with my modded box and XBMC, with the shared discs on my PC.

Can you put sky through the HTPC, and use it like a PVR, or is this really only possible with Sky+ (One less box under the TV would be amazing!!)

Is the quality from a HTPC comparable to the quality from a top notch DVD player.

What is the best allround media software that everyone uses?

Sorry for being such an idiot, and I did try and search the forum for answers, but I just couldn't find any... I might think of more questions later that I might add. Also if anyone can point me to a good newbie guide on HTPC, it will be greatly appreciated.

thanks all

Nick B

2. Media-Man

Media-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Yes you can rip your DVD's to the HDD, you can shrink the size of these by removing the extras you don't need or changing the compresion. You can also convert them to another more size efficient format .

Yes you can put sky through it and use as a PVR -

a HTPC can be as good as if not better than a top notch DVD player - CODEC choice having a big part in overall quality. nVidia gfx cards with the nVidia PureVideo CODEC is probably the combination of choice for most at the moment. Theatretek is also popular

Best all round software - mmmm, many opinions on this one. MCE works (more or less) straight out of the box with less faffage; but there are others like Meedio, and others that have their own fanbase

3. BigBry

BigBry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But it's not straight forward running a Sky signal into a HTPC without having a Sky digibox.