questions on Honda FRV diesel-2.2 CDTI engine noisy???

ajex

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I had a look'Honda FRV the other day as normally i need 4 seats but sometimes need to accomodate 5 adults and 1 child and dont like using 2 cars...

Went to most famous used car dealer in west london and had a test drive..

Found the engine to be very noisy even though it was 2009 ,2.2 cdti model..noisier than my 1.9 tdi skoda...

Did i drive a lemon as same engine in civic is rated very quiet..

Any personal experiences and what is the MPG like??one thing is certain on skoda 1.9 is excellent fuel efficiency bit is noisy..

I do not do high miles but am put off by low Engine torque of a Petrol...FRV

So essentially looking for 6/7 seater under 10 k with really smooth engine and should drive like car ..Had zafira before ...

Last edited:
I had the 2.2 cdti civic and a too thought this was rather noisy for a modern diesel. So I think it's just how they are. I think the frv in the right colour Is a good and different people carrier. Looks a little less people carrier like too.

You have hit the nail on the head as I do not want too long a vehicle and it looks bit executive type so could drive to office ...but am surprised as one would have thought CR engine from Honda would be super silent or is it PD ???Did sound like a Tractor for sure...

I had the 2.2 cdti civic and a too thought this was rather noisy for a modern diesel. So I think it's just how they are. I think the frv in the right colour Is a good and different people carrier. Looks a little less people carrier like too.

I drove the latest model civic last week and the 2.2cdti engine was very noisy, much noisier than my fabia vrs

Possibly the cam chain than belt makes things noisier. I'd prefer the chain than the vag belt change every 60k

i had a frv for three years but mine was a petrol horrible seats in them and i thought it was unstable on the motorway very reliable not one thing went wrong but it was one of the worst cars i have owned could not wait to get rid of it

Last edited:
I drove the latest model civic last week and the 2.2cdti engine was very noisy, much noisier than my fabia vrs

Doesn't the Fabia Vrs have the 8-valve 1.9 tdi engine?
That engine's old as the hills and about as rough as they come.
I had one in my 2002 Audi A4, and it wasn't a new engine then.
There must have been something wrong with the Honda diesel to make a 1.9tdi seem quieter.:eek:

Last edited:
Thanks for missing piece,I test drove it and could not put finger on what was missing and probably that is what was bothering me besides the engine noise...

i had a frv for three years but mine was a petrol horrible seats in them and i thought it was unstable on the motorway very reliable not one thing went wrong but it was one of the worst cars i have owned could not wait to get rid of it

Thanks for missing piece,I test drove it and could not put finger on what was missing and probably that is what was bothering me besides the engine noise...

also the driving position is weird you are right up against the door and the driver seat does not go back very far i am only 6 foot and i had to have it as far as it goes back and the seat base is short too also for some reason it used to wander all over on the motorway if they was any wind the worst car i have ever drove in this respect

FZR400RRSP said:
Doesn't the Fabia Vrs have the 8-valve 1.9 tdi engine?
That engine's old as the hills and about as rough as they come.
I had one in my 2002 Audi A4, and it wasn't a new engine then.
There must have been something wrong with the Honda diesel to make a 1.9tdi seem quieter.:eek:

Yes it is the 1.9 130bhp pd engine and not only is it quieter than the civic i drove but considerably quicker too

Not saying its the case on all

Yes it is the 1.9 130bhp pd engine and not only is it quieter than the civic i drove but considerably quicker too

I wouldn't expect much difference in performance.
The Honda has 148bhp and weighs 1487 kgs
The Vrs has 130bhp and weighs 1315 kgs.
So the power to weight ratio is absolutely identical.
The 1.9tdi engine can give the impression of being quicker than it is though.
It delivers its power in one big 'whoosh', and the fact it's an 8V engine gives more low end too.
More modern 16v diesels are far more progressive in their power delivery, which can give the impression of being slower, even if they're not.
Noise though, there should be comparison.
The 1.9tdi really is a rough old warhorse of an engine.
Edit, more economical and tougher than the 2.0tdi it was replaced with though.

Last edited:
I was surprised to find out that 2.2cdti is the first diesel engine Honda made and probably that shows clearly....

ajex said:
I was surprised to find out that 2.2cdti is the first diesel engine Honda made and probably that shows clearly....

Honda took development of their first diesel very seriously and the fact it's as good as diesels made by others who've been doing it for years is a great credit to then.

ajex did you go for the honda frv or are you getting something else ?

Not yet will keep this thread updated as I am now considering 2 L FRV besides quashqai+2 and xc70 with 7 seats...

ajex did you go for the honda frv or are you getting something else ?

The lead designer for Honda refused to allow diesels into his cars since they were noisy dirty horrible lumps. Then after being forced into it he spent ages perfecting a light weight good performance, quiet and clean engine, he was quoted as saying its the first diesel he has fell in love with (or words to those effect)

I have a 2007 plate Civic with the 2.2 diesel, 130'000 miles and counting. It's a little noiser than modern diesels I have sat in (60 plate Audi A4 avant) but its still a reasonably quiet engine, it does have a little grumble when pushed hard but its a great engine.

When I bought mine it had around 124'000 miles on the clock but the service book was fully stamped up. Took it for its first MOT under my watch and the only thing wrong was an anti roll bar joint at the front, replacement cost about £30. For a car thats drove more than half way to the moon thats not bad! :)

As for mpg, will vary with the FRV and driving style but I can eek out around 38mph about town and around 50mpg sitting at 70mph on the motorway. After 6000 miles, more of which is about town than motorway, im at a combined value of 40mpg.

out of the three i would go for the xc70 one of the most comfortable cars i have drove

Yeah My opinion but only issue is living in London and sticking to Motorways I dont really need a 4x4...but like the tall boy design:rolleyes::rolleyes:

out of the three i would go for the xc70 one of the most comfortable cars i have drove

the 2.2 diesel is quite nippy but its one of the loudest diesels ive driven. My Bora with the 19.tdi was quieter but i think that may be to do with sound deadening as it was louder from the outside.
2.2 diesel not good with clutches either especially when remapped.

Update...

Test drove another and this one was much quiter and also requirement of 4 seats on a regular basis and 6 seats occasionally was best served by the FRV...so decided to get a 3 year old FRV EX model instead of Merc ML270 - 7 seater 2005 model...or even Qashqai+2

Will keep u guys posted..

I wouldn't expect much difference in performance.
The Honda has 148bhp and weighs 1487 kgs
The Vrs has 130bhp and weighs 1315 kgs.
So the power to weight ratio is absolutely identical.
The 1.9tdi engine can give the impression of being quicker than it is though.
It delivers its power in one big 'whoosh', and the fact it's an 8V engine gives more low end too.
More modern 16v diesels are far more progressive in their power delivery, which can give the impression of being slower, even if they're not.
Noise though, there should be comparison.
The 1.9tdi really is a rough old warhorse of an engine.
Edit, more economical and tougher than the 2.0tdi it was replaced with though.

We have both these cars in the house and the performance is night and day! The VRS power distribution curve is very front end and although power output may look similar the VRS will cane the CRV 2.2.

The Honda 2.2 is not a noisy engine...OK its not the quietest diesel engine around, but if it was noticeably noisy then there was likely something wrong....

YankTank said:
The Honda 2.2 is not a noisy engine...OK its not the quietest diesel engine around, but if it was noticeably noisy then there was likely something wrong....

Im quite willing to accept that

Thats why i walked away

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom