Questions on Elonex Artisan

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gdickin2, Mar 28, 2006.

1. gdickin2

gdickin2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am seriously considering getting an Elonex Artisan and have a day or two at the most to decide.
    I have a few questions first though.

How long does it take to wake up from Standby to a usable state ?

Will it allow me to schedule a recording and then put it into standby - and still record ?

How good is the display quality via a CRT screen using the S-Video output ?

How warm does the box run - I would need to run it in a cabinet alongside my AV Amp ?

Does the audio output decode DTS ?

Many thanks

2. Plobelle

Plobelle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As delivered, mine took about 30 secs to wake up from standby to a usable state. By disabling the Hauppauge IR driver (not required with MCE) this was reduced to about 10-15secs. I suspect they may have changed the DVB-T cards (to some sort of hybrid tuners) since I bought mine though so it may be different now.

Recording from standby is absolutely fine (and it returns to standby after finishing the recordings).

Don't know about CRT and Svideo. Likely to very poor with a Windows screen but should be OK in MCE.

Mine doesn't get hot. Chucks out warm air on the back right hand side so that needs to be clear and ventilated somehow.

Don't know about DTS. I use digital coax sound output to a separate decoder.

Hope this is of some help.

3. WheresMyArtisan

WheresMyArtisan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    FRINTC = SPAMMER

You've posted four messages since joining up, all of which are plugging the crappy PCs that you're obviously producing in your back bedroom. I've reported your post, hopefully all your posts will be removed.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    According to Whois; Lewis Home Theatre is owned by Frinton Computers so it looks like frintc has been caught red handed trying to defraud forum members.

I also see that according to Whois - "The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their address omitted from the WHOIS service." Let's see what my friend at Nominet has to say about that :D

My advice to everyone is that anyone who acts in such a deceiptful way isn't to be trusted so I would steer well clear of their products.

5. WheresMyArtisan

WheresMyArtisan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Funny how, despite this company being nothing to do with you, you can still talk to one of your guys in marketing. Presumably this guy is actually you, as your company headquarters are actually in your bedroom at your mum's house.

Justice there I think. The PCs look like a load of crap anyway. Just a fat desktop with a slab of metal glued on.

What's the betting that the "Home Cinema Choice" award is just "marketing", i.e. bull too. I'll ask them about it.

I'm all for being friendly, but you aren't here just to chat. You are the door-to-door salesman from a cowboy outfit.

6. WheresMyArtisan

WheresMyArtisan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Ian - would you be able to add lewishometheater to the swear filter, just in case any other new members feel like blurting about it?!

7. gdickin2

gdickin2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I was never expecting my question to open up such a can of worms !!!

Anyone else reading this in the meantime, please feel free to contribute to my original question.

8. WheresMyArtisan

WheresMyArtisan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hehe. Sorry, I came here to answer you, then got side-tracked.

You can probably guess from my username that I have one. I ordered it when it was first reviewed in PC Pro, then it took months to arrive and I joined here in a huff (hence the username!).

As mine is a very early model, I couldn't really answer many of your questions. The latest version is VIIV-compatible, so the innards and case have changed beyond recognition.

Having said that, I've just checked the Elonex website. They are behind PC Pro, the new VX model is in this month's PC Pro. It has a silver and black front panel. The all-black one is the old model.

My only real gripes are:

The hard disk seems to be in a dead spot where there is no air. It gets quite warm. You need to ensure there is an inch or so of clear space above it. Definitely don't enclose it - it pumps out some heat.

Check the depth before ordering - it's huge. It actually hangs out the back of my cabinet.

To be honest, I'd probably self-build if I was starting again.

9. GrandmasterMak

GrandmasterMak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I posted info on Elonex a few weeks ago - they have just got trid of 60% of the staff including the onsite engineers so i would be very careful if you are to proceed in buying the artisan.

They are closing the gatwick and bradford offices which had the majority of the sales staff and now are down to skeleton staff.

I have an artisan myself but know alot of people who have been made redundant recently so its only fair to let you know as i'm not how long they will be around for.