• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

questions on CMedia codecs

timberwolf

Whats the deal with CMedia (http://code.google.com/p/cmediadrivers/) and WaveRT. Is WaveRT good or base, Cmedia poeple seem to say its bad and its hard to find any literature on its downfalls. hoe do i find out if my computer is running WaveRT (im using vista64 SP1 and most patvhes)

Last edited:

jameson_uk

Whats the deal with CMedia (cmediadrivers - Google Code) and WaveRT. Is WaveRT good or base, Cmedia poeple seem to say its bad and its hard to find any literature on its downfalls. hoe do i find out if my computer is running WaveRT (im using vista64 SP1 and most patvhes)

The non-wave version of the drivers are much better than the CMedia offering and give you bitperfect audio.

I am not really sure about WaveRT but it is meant to be better than the old windows sound config as it connects at a lower level meaning lower latency but have no experience of this.

IIRC there is an issue with Dogber's drivers on x64?? (well not an issue par se but just the way x64 works) and you need to turn off driver signing for everything (which is one of the advantages of x64)

timberwolf

The non-wave version of the drivers are much better than the CMedia offering and give you bitperfect audio.

I am not really sure about WaveRT but it is meant to be better than the old windows sound config as it connects at a lower level meaning lower latency but have no experience of this.

IIRC there is an issue with Dogber's drivers on x64?? (well not an issue par se but just the way x64 works) and you need to turn off driver signing for everything (which is one of the advantages of x64)

yeah had this problem but got around it as the instructions describe. Good drivers and the card has solved my sound issues that i had with Creative X-FI. Still dont know why WaveRT is worse than non-WaveRT, how you know if you have it on your computer and if you can use the non-WaveRT drivers if it is installed. Seems to be an unspoken subject hehehe

Last edited:

jameson_uk

yeah had this problem but got around it as the instructions describe. Good drivers and the card has solved my sound issues that i had with Creative X-FI. Still dont know why WaveRT is worse than non-WaveRT, how you know if you have it on your computer and if you can use the non-WaveRT drivers if it is installed. Seems to be an unspoken subject hehehe

WaveRT is only available on Vista and was meant to be Microsoft's attempt at serious audio (a la Mac) and to remove the need for things like ASIO. In theory it should be much better than standard windows audio but I have never actually tried it out.

I think there has been a general lack of takeup on WaveRT which is why there is not much info out there.

timberwolf

WaveRT is only available on Vista and was meant to be Microsoft's attempt at serious audio (a la Mac) and to remove the need for things like ASIO. In theory it should be much better than standard windows audio but I have never actually tried it out.

I think there has been a general lack of takeup on WaveRT which is why there is not much info out there.

Ah cheers, that would explain it. Well I installed the waveRT version of the driver and it sounds fine, just a shame by HTPC is not locked into SafeMode because of the unsigned drivers

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom