1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions on buying a PS2

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by t-force, Mar 9, 2005.

1. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Well, after a long time resisting the temptation, I am almost certainly going to buy a PS2 within the next month or so, but I've got a few questions about NTSC/PAL/prog scan support etc:

1) Is there a major difference in picture quality between prog scan and interlaced via component?

2) Is there greater support for prog scan on NTSC games?

3) If I were to import a slimline PS2 from Canada/US, would I only need to buy a replacement PSU to get it to work over here (games aside of course)?

4) Does the PAL PS2 suffer from the same problem with poorly converted games as the Cube, ie black bars at top and bottom?

5) I'm definitely interested in importing games from Canada, and I know that it is now illegal to sell modchips for PS2s, but I believe that disc swapping methods are still permitted. How effective are they, do they invalidate guarantees etc, can they be used on the slimline PS2, and most importantly, do they work with PS1 games? If not, is there any way that I can play imported PS1 games on a PS2?

6) Not really graphics related I know, but will the optical out output ALL sound from the console, including stuff that is not digitally encoded and PS1 soundtracks?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm trying to work out which direction to go in, and how best to preserve my PS1 games.

Thanks in advance,

Toby

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    1) Progressive scan gives a both more stable and sharper picture, especially since it does not need to soften the image vertically for flicker removal. How visible the difference is depends largely on the display.

2) Yes. Since progressive scan was standardized on the US market very early and quite late for the European market, many titles that support progressive scan in the US versions do not in the European versions.

3) I don't know how safe it is replacing the PSU with a third party make, so I can't comment on that. As far as picture is concerned though, if your TV supports NTSC or you use component video, there should be no issues with that.

4) In the European versions of some Japanese games, yes. This has improved though and most big titles are scaled and/or increased in resolution to cover more of the screen and have correct proportions. In games running at 60Hz/NTSC, this is not an issue.

5) I don't know.

6) Yes, but in some rare cases games can supposedly disable the optical output. That aside, the PS2 will output PCM at 48kHz in PS2 games, and PCM at 44.1kHz in PS games or during audio CD playback. Games that support Dolby Digital will switch to it during cut scenes if you enable it in the game options, and revert to regular PCM stereo during gameplay. Likewise, the few games that support DTS will output DTS if you enable that in the game options.

3. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Thanks for your reply

I wasn't planning on using a 3rd party PSU. Instead I'd get a genuine uk one from Sony.

Anyone clued-up on the whole disc-swapping thing?

4. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Anyone at all know anything about disc-swapping on a new style slim PS2? Please? :) I've heard reports about it knackering lasers, and I really don't want to do that.