1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions-Linkplayer 2 and Panny Viera

Discussion in 'TVs' started by emporer, Jul 8, 2005.

1. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    I'd be most gratefull for a bit of advice with this. I have a Panny Viera 37PE50 and was looking at the linkplayer 2, now the panny only has component inputs for 720p/1080i etc. Can the LP2 be connected via this method to play in these modes? I'm looking purely to play movies in 720p/1080i in .TS format.

I know my panny isn't true hi-def but think this will be major improvement on standard dvd's. My xbox looked superb at 720p/1080i and I would like to get the same with films.

Any advice before I buy?

2. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +414
    I haven't got this player (yet) but, yes it can through the supplied D4 to Component (3xRCA) adaptor. It will play 720p/1080i .TS files no problem in their full resolution at full frame rates.

Why isn't your plasma hi-def if it can display 720p? Is it down-converting?

3. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    I was under the impression that the viera's don't do true hi-def as the resolution isn't as high as the new pv500 jobbies, but like I said before it looks stunning with my xbox. I don't know as much as I should with regards to exactly what is hi-def and what isn't in terms of resolution. I know mine does 852x480 vga, but I didn't think that warrants as hi-def.

4. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    just looking at the specs on the pv500 and the res is 1024x720, it seems not that much of a difference.

5. marker

marker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .TS files look fantastic on my Sagem. Well most of them do, the odd capture is pretty poor but otherwise it's night and day...

6. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    The Vieras are being advertised as HD Ready in John Lewis - and if they are 1024x720 and have the required 1080/720 50/60 Component and HDMI inputs then they meet the spec.

In many John Lewis (both Brent Cross and High Wycombe) stores the Panasonic Vieras seem to be connected to little Japanese HD playback set-ups. This seems to be a Japanese cable TV set-top box (according to Babelfish!) connected via a D4 to component cable to the Plasma. The set top box is then connected to an IOData HD recorder (emulates a D-VHS via Firewire in and out I think) which has pre-recorded HD (I guess MPEG2 format) on it. Very optimised video to look "bright and shiny" - and probably quite a high data rate - but in comparison to Freeview SD it looks massively better. (One Viera in High Wycombe was being fed from an S-Video SD output from the box - so showing an SD down-convert - and it too looked masssively better than Freeview off-air)

7. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    the pe50 series viera plasma has no hdmi input, and the likes of 720/1080i can only be achieved through compnent inputs. Can someone confirm that my plasma is 852x480 res, and how would this look when I play hi-def movies (.TS files) through a LP2