Questions from a possible PS3 owner

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by TylerDurden, Sep 18, 2007.

1. TylerDurden

TylerDurden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    I'm thinking about selling / trading my Wii + games to get a PS3, can someone answer a few questions I have about the PS3 ?

Whats the media center capabilities like on the PS3, can it play Divx etc. ?
    Is it HDMI connection only to a HDTV ?
    I assume the DVD playback is region locked, can it be made multi region ?
    Can I copy my own media to the HDD ?
    Is the HDD locked down like the 360s one is, can I use my own HDD ?
    I have a 360 and would probably use that for online gaming, what PS3 exclusives are on the way over the next few months ?

I guess I'm mainly getting one for BR and media center use, any comments on those aspects welcomed.

2. macker_s

macker_s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi TylerDurden,

I will have a stab at the ones I know for sure:

Whats the media center capabilities like on the PS3, can it play Divx etc. ?

No DivX at the moment this is the one everyone is waiting for, but other media capabilites are good, personally I run twonkey on QNAP NAS and stream movies (encoded in H264, lots of tool on the net) over my GB network and it works like a charm.

Now I have my PS3 connected to a Yamaha-2600 and that works fine asn with many other HDMI amps I believe.

Not as far as I know.

Yes read the sticky and many other on-line post on this.

You can put in any 2.5 Sata drive you like, the biggest I believe being around 300Gb

I have a 360 and would probably use that for online gaming, what PS3 exclusives are on the way over the next few months ?

Hmm I am not that up to speed on this and will let others chime in....

Best regards,
    ,Mackers

3. Dips

Dips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Could they enable Divx via a firmware update in the future or is that not possible?

4. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    I have not messed about with linux or anything, so my comments are only on what a UK PS3 can do out of the box with the latest firmware from Sony.

You can also connect it to a HDTV via component, and in a mag the other day I saw an advert for either a madcatz or joytech PS3 vga cable, but I have never seen these online or in shops. I'd recommend using HDMI though. Some pretty cheap and good HDMI splitters now available if you don't have enough inputs.

It cannot play divx. There are ways to convert files and then either put them, on the PS3 or stream them. However it will not play a DIVX file directly. Media can be put on the PS3, but like I said it has to be a certain format. Photos and music can be placed on it, not just streamed like the 360 (ie you can plug a USB stick in and copy over music and photos and store them on the PS30

DVD playback is locked to region 2, blu-ray plackback locked to region B. Both are excellent. Upscaling normal dvds I'm very impressed with, and blu-ray playback is superb.

PS3 exclusives, recently had Heavenly Sword, on the way there is Haze, Unreal Tournament 3 (also on PC, but 360 next year), Ratchet and Clank, Time Crisis 4, and next year you have Little Big Planet and Gran Turismo 5 to name a few.

I have a 360, Wii and PS3. All have good and bad points. Personally I use the 360 for games and the PS3 for media and the odd exclusive. This sounds like what you are going to be doing, so I'd happily recommend it. If on the other hand you were on about trading in your 360 for the PS3, I'd advise against it, as simply put, the PS3 is a great machine, just lacking in the games department.

5. BlackCountryBob

BlackCountryBob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Here go's

1 - The PS3 can't play DivX but it is rumoured to be coming in the next firmware update in a few weeks. Its mostly a MP4 loving beast and MP4's associates such as H.264/AVC.

2 - You can buy a component cable to connect the PS3 to a HDTV and many people who have used them say they are on a par with the HDMI picture quality. Check the forums for more info on this topic. The component cable has the same connector as the PS2 and PS1 AV cable did so if you had a component cable for either of them it will be re-useable.

3 - Its region locked for standard DVD and as far as I am aware there is no way of making it region free.

4 - You can swap out the HDD for any 2.5inch SATA 5400RPM laptop drive which currently top out at 250ish GB. There are a few threads on this topic and plenty of guides and step by steps of how to do it on sites like Cnet and Lifehacker.

5 - PS3 exclusives on the way are

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune
    Ratchet and Clank
    Haze
    Unreal Tournament 3 (PS3 and PC only until late 08)
    Lair
    Warhawk
    Heavenly Sword
    Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
    Little Big Planet
    Home
    Pain

Hope that helps.

6. antsims

antsims

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +699
    Hi guys,

Thinking of buying a US PS3 and I was wondering if I would still be able to update its firmware here in the UK?:confused:

7. lfc1394

lfc1394

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    I have a US PS3 and no problem updating the firmware.

8. Keane

Keane
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    I completely agree. I use both, the 360 for games (and the odd HD DVD) and the PS3 for Blu ray, 1080p DVD upscaling and other media centre bits. It's odd, but the games I have played on both formats (admittedly only FEAR and Transformers) were noticebly better (both graphically and in terms of gameplay) on the 360.

Basically, if you can afford both, get both.

Then, if you've got a bit of cash left over get a Wii to keep the missus quiet ;)

9. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Yes you can. It's not a problem. I have no problems updating the firmware on my US PS3.

10. medicmanonet

medicmanonet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi All,

just really adding some questions to TylerDurden ones here...

1. Media playback - so basically the PS3 will playMP4 H.264 files natively but pretty much anything else needs to be converted on a PC (or file served via a program that converts on the fly?). As a general rule of thumb, do people have difficulty in converting files from Xvid, WMV, etc to the correct format for the PS3?

2. How good is the in built web browser for surfing the t'nternet?

3. How easy is the inbuilt file browser to use say with a remote control?

I've been considering a PS3 for a long time. Someone has said they are availble now for around £330 (a lot cheaper than the £450 when I was looking). Now with the latest firmware updates so BLu-ray and Upscaling DVD playback are good, the PS3 looks more prominsing than building my own HTPC.

Cheers and sorry for the steal.... just thougth these would be also relevant questions to you TylerDurden

11. BlackCountryBob

BlackCountryBob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Medicmanonet

1 - I have not had problems converting videos but TBH it is something I rarely do. However, on the odd occasion I have converted stuff it was very easy to find appropriate software and do the conversion. I'm sure it is mentioned elsewhere on the forums which program is best but I used a free trial of Red Kawa (I think) which could convert videos quickly and is perfect for stuff like music videos and other short vids.

2 - The web browser is ok but it is not something that rivals IE/Firefox etc, its a little slow and you may find that it is incompatible with some sites. In general, its pretty useful to check your email with it on the TV rather than having to fire up your PC and have a quick look at the news but it is not something that will ever replace your PC as a primary net browser. Think of it like the browser on your phone, its useful to have and on the odd occasion is something you couldn't live without but its not something that you would use to do extensive research etc.

3 - Pretty easy but you are limited to he official Sony remote as it is bluetooth and the PS3 doesn't have an IR port so you are out of luck if you have a Harmony etc. The file system is very useful, the XMB compares quite favourably with Windows Media Centre software. There are a few flaws file the inability to create folders but its only a big deal if you have loads of content and you should expect it is something Sony will add via firmware updates in the future.

I've not seen a PS3 as cheap as £330 but I have heard about promotions slashing te price to such a degree, ShopTo.net is always one of the cheapest sites for PS3 consoles.

If you really wanted the PC functions of a HTPC then do check out the forums for people who have installed linux operating systems on their PS3's.

I hope that helps.

12. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I'm Whats the media center capabilities like on the PS3, can it play Divx etc. ?

Great for me, handles photos, MP3s and videos nicely - although it doesn't do DivX yet, I just convert them to a relevant format

Not sure what you mean by this, are you asking if it will connect to a monitor (No) or are you asking if it will connect to a CRT (Yes, via Scart/Component), will also connect via HDMI to DVI.

No and I presume it never will

Yes its EASY

You can upgrade - again easy

I have a 360 and would probably use that for online gaming

The PS3 is free for online gaming, and although I presume the setup and service is not to Xbox Live standard its still pretty damn good and will improve.

FYI it also has wireless built in and you can stream stuff from your PC (not played with that function yet). If you get the remote the PS3 is also an extremely nice DVD player + BluRay too.

not sure of exclusives etc, but the games I am looking forward to are..

GT/MGS/Little Big Planet

13. medicmanonet

medicmanonet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for your info, I dont need the HTPC functions really as I have a decent spec stand alone PC and am most likly going to get a laptop too for uni. Its just the WAF appeal is to have one thing that does not just play Blue rays, etc. By the time I buy a nice looking PC case I am like 1/3 of the way to buying a PS3 (well if its less than £400).

The delima is buy cheap laptop for wireless surfing and writitng assingments and also a PS3, or a dearer laptop to connect to TV and play HD movies on from net, and home videos and photos at HD resolutoin (hence the File format questions). Dearer laptop means no PS3 for a long while.

BTW Gaming is not a main consideration at all....

Or Sod the PS3 and make a HTPC!!!!

14. angelus24pt

angelus24pt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I' also interested in buying a ps3 and like some have said it's main use will be as a media center and the occasional exclusive, like ff, and some ps2 games that I've yet to finish.
    I had several doubts, but they were answered in this topic, one of them was if the ps3 upscaled normal dvd's, which it does very well according to you guys :)
    My other doubt is if it will also upscale to high definition the ps2 games?
    I also read in some forum about some rumors that the ps3 would drop to around 420 euros, has anyone heard anything about it?

Thanks

15. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    That's just rumour and speculation. Nothing official has been announced by Sony regarding any price cuts. That's not to say they won't happen but we won't know until they happen or just before. It's not something Sony is going to make a bog noise about before they are good and ready to drop the price.