1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions from a desperate yellow newbie

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Steviefull, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Steviefull

Steviefull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mornin People

I need advice and guidance on my proposed 'film room', simply i am having an extension built and the film room is the place for the wife to get rid of me in.

The room measures 9'0" in length and 11'0" wide so not exactly spacious.

I have an idea of what i want i just don't know what to get. I have a dvd/surround sound system in mind (Denon something or other £500.00), but i wouls like a Projector and a screen of about 6'0" in width. Any suggestions, or am i going in completely the wrong direction.

Also i intend to have a screen that will pull down from the ceiling (good idea??), does this need to be against a wall or plain background, as i intended for ir to pull down in front of the bookcases holding my dvds.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated, just a starting point would be nice.

Thanking you in advance.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi :hiya:

I think you'll need to project 'across' the room, 9' is rather short for a projector to throw a good sized image, which a 6' wide screen would be, 11' is more useful although you'll need to take off probably around 12" for the depth of the projector plus cable room ec.

If you take alook at this on-line ad for a popular current projector, the AE700, and look at the 'throw chart' at the bottom you'll see the sort of image size you can expect over various throw sizes.

I'm not saying the 700 is what I'd recommend nor suggesting that dealer in particular, it's one of several popular models and just an example to give you an idea, that site lists several machines most of which include throw charts to give you an idea of the distances you need to be thinking about.

BTW, I think you mean you're green not yellow, you may be new but I doubt you're a coward. :D

3. Steviefull

Steviefull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah, stupid colours, thanks for the advice. I am really restricted by the room shape though and the 9'0" is the ideal way of placing things

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well if you're stuck with the 9' (meaning 8' in practice) then you'll have to either choose your projector based on a very short throw lens or maybe compromise on the screen size.

Also, ideally the viewing distance wants to be no closer than 1.5 times the width of the screen, so that means you really don't want to be looking at a screen larger than 5' across (not sure what diagonal that is, maybe 69").

5. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Most pulldown screens can be flush mounted against a wall, or hung from the ceiling. Sounds like you would do the latter, and suspend it from hooks in front of your unit. Most screens have weight at the bottom, so it shouldn't move around when down (unless you point a fan right at it !! )

Mark

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I throw a 71" wide image on the TX100 from under 8 ft, at about 90% zoom. Kragorn makes a good point about viewing distance, I sit a few feet further back, about 1.8 times the screen width. It's not a show stopper for you though, some people prefer the close up panoramic view and are willing to trade-off in terms of visual artifacts.

If you go the home made screen route you can slap the projector up, see what size image suits best and custom make the screen to fit. That's what I did anyway..PJ

7. Steviefull

Steviefull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So in theory i buy a projector with a broad size range (whatever model, any ideas) and then see how it shows on the wall or something as simple as a sheet and buy my screen accoring to how it looks. Hmm sounds like a plan :smashin:

Anyone projector recommendations, decent budget one

and a screen

8. noel-pilot

noel-pilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what kind of budget you talking? If you can give us all an idea im sure the reccomendations will flow forth!!

9. Steviefull

Steviefull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About £1000.00 for screen and projector, not a lot i know, and ideally i'd like it to be less, paying for the room to be built will be the expensive enough.

10. noel-pilot

noel-pilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just bought an Epson TW10H from Premier Presentations, £550 inc delivery and free head massager! Service was fantastic and the first impressions of PJ are fantastic. Will be able to report more after Thurs when it gets setup (Exams till then:()

Alternatively some people were talking about a package for the TW10 this is slightly lower brightness and contrast ratio but still very good apparently, came with a screen, and surround sound package which most people have sold on!!

there's a thread somewhere on here all about it, dates back to november/december but may be worth a look.

Those are options at the lower end of your budget im sure there will be lots of people more than happy to throw in a few higher up!!!

If you can let people know what you want to connect and what inputs you want that will help too.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Noel

11. Steviefull

Steviefull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Sounds interesting, if you can let me know i'd appreciate it, what size screen you projecting onto??

12. Steviefull

Steviefull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0