1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions for LCD console gamers

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Eiji, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I am planning on getting the Samsung LE32R41BDX as purely a gaming panel close to the Xbox 360 launch.

Of course I will also connect my Xbox, PS2 and GameCube up to the new panel but what I want to know is:

How does 480p look on a 1366x768 panel? Does it look quite blurry and interpolated?

Can any of you post pictures of any 480p console games running on your HD LCD panels? I just want to get a jist of what it looks like.

What about standard definition 480i games? Most PS2 games are 480i and I'm wondering how they would look upscaled to 1366x768 :lesson:

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    480p looks great, 480i is rather poor though, in my opinion. It's blurry and fairly "washed out"

You'll have to excuse the bad quality photos. (and the mess!) A couple of quick images from "Project Gotham Racing 2" on Xbox:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both running in 480p. :)

3. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks for that andrew!

PGR2 looks quite nice on that Samsung LCD :thumbsup:

If you got a PS2 or Gamecube can you show a game on either console at 480i?

I have read the Xbox doesn't output 480i all too well because the video encoder processes the image and blurs it to eliminate aliasing :thumbsdow

Thats one of the reasons most Xbox games have aliasing issues when displayed at 480p because the image isn't processed at ED and HD resolutions by the encoder.

4. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I've got both, but no games that really show it off. Only got 2D PS2 games, and Ikaruga is my only Gamecube game. (I just recently sold my UK console for a Japanese one)

5. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Having used my Xbox with both RGB SCART and component video I'd have to say that for 480i/p games only they are much better through either RGB SCART since the jaggies are less apparent, or run in interlace with a component video lead rather than progressive.

Sure the image is a bit blurry but in my opinion it approximates what you see on a normal CRT TV very well. Running games in 480i (i.e. non-progressive) via the component video game improves the colours and sharpens the quality of the image but highlights any jaggies more. Still it's not as bad as running the game in 480p (progressive scan) which gives you the best image quality and colours but makes most Xbox games look horrendously jaggy.

Progressive scan is perfect for 720p games, which bodes well for the Xbox 360, but in my view since most Xbox games only run at 480p anyway, the majority of them are best played with an RGB SCART lead to mask the ugly edges. As I said above, on my TV (LE-26R41BD) the image was almost exactly on a par with my 21" Sony 4:3 CRT TV in terms of focus, colour and aliasing. Sometimes less is more...

6. Spokkx

Spokkx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is interesting.. just ordered a sony klv-s32a10

I was wondering how bad the response time shows on lcd-tvs with games overall.. both in progressive (720p and 480p) and with ordinary RGB scart?

Lyris you seem to quite the critical guy (I mean that as a compliment :)

Saw that you had an older sony model and also tried a samsung LCD.. what is you experience? Is it bad or is it not much of an issue?

saw that you were a gamer too.. thought you might notice these things

7. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Do you notice any ghosting or motion blur with fast paced games on your panel andrew?

8. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    None whatsoever on progressive games. :D

Interlaced can be a bit blurry, but it's to be expected.

9. V3X

V3X
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    This TV set = tearing?

10. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Not on mine anyway. Haven't seen a hint of it so far, and I've spent a lot of time with 480p/720p (hundreds of hours)

11. Woods C18

Woods C18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a word of warning. I purchased the 26" version of this tv for the xbox 360, and thought i may as well plug my xbox in for some 480p action. Little did I know that the pal xbox dosnt allow you to output 480p, even if your using an av hi-def pack.

12. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Yes, but you can soft-mod it if you've got the original Splinter Cell and a hacked save. :)

http://www.xboxworld.com.au/forum/printthread.php?t=28489

The link to the save was down last time I checked, so I've hosted it myself:

http://andrewfee.org/Splinter Cell.zip

13. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +861
    if you already have the av pack you need to soft mod your xbox yo you can play games in hi def.

14. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I already have my Xbox softmodded and switched to NTSC so that isn't a problem :)

I don't know whether to get the LE26R41BDX (26") or LE32R41BDX (32") as I read somewhere that the 32" version doesn't have as clear a picture as the 26" version due to the larger screen and same resolution but I have no idea whether this is true or not.

15. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    It's all about viewing distances - a 32" screen (of any type) will look softer than a 26" one - but at the proper viewing distances for each, they will look identical. It's just that you can sit further back with a 32" set. (I'd say 7ft+ for a 32" 26" if you've got less)

16. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I was taking pictures for another message board I visit, so I thought I'd post them here as well.

I spent a good 10, 20 minutes setting up the camera to represent the image I see as accurately as I could. Exposure was set so that no highlights were clipped at all, and I used a custom white-balance.

I'm on a Mac, so the images might be a bit "brighter" on my screen, so if they're too dark, I apologise.

I prefer a more "realistic" colour to my images, than an overly saturated "vibrant" one.

Ghost Recon 2: Summit Strike:
    [​IMG]

Project Gotham Racing 2:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (the blur here is my camera, as I'm going rather fast)
    [​IMG]

Oh, and here's one with the exposure turned up for those of you that do like to see things a bit OTT.
    [​IMG]

I should also note, there has been nothing done to these images, other than downsizing. There was no in-camera sharpening, no additional colour correction in photoshop etc, it's all just straight off the memory card. They were all taken in a pitch-black room, if you hadn't guessed. ;)

17. m1ket

m1ket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    great shots there i think you have made my mind up!! :)

18. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks for the additional shots andrew :thumbsup:

My only worry is purchasing a Samsung LCD and it ends up having the tearing issue @ 60Hz and I have plenty of 60Hz material. I don't want the hassle though I know not everyone has the tearing issue so I may just wait a little longer or keep an eye on the new LE32M51B which might have had the problem fixed. The new design looks quite nifty too :smashin:

[​IMG]

19. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    The M51 is exactly the same TV in a new case. (and an uglier one at that, in my opinion)

I've personally used my television for 600+ hours now, mostly with games at 480p and 720p @ 60Hz over component, and 720p movies over HDMI, and haven't seen tearing once.

20. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Yeah, I read in the other thread that its the same TV with some cosmetic alterations.

Any chance of providing high-res versions of first two pictures that you took above?

21. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Sorry, I don't have the high-res ones stored. If it's just a quick shot to be put on a message board, I just downsize, upload them and delete.

When it's much bigger than that you tend to see flaws from the camera, rather than flaws on the display. :)

22. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I'm getting closer to purchasing an LCD as the Xbox 360 launch date looms ever so closer :clap:

How about fast paced fighting games which run at 60 frames per second?

Is there any noticeable ghosting/smearing?

Have you andrew or anyone else with the LE26R41B(DX) or LE32R41B(DX) tried Dead or Alive 3 / Dead or Alive Ultimate or any other fast paced fighting games?

I'm planning on getting Dead or Alive 4 on launch but I hope this set can keep up with the high octane action :D