1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions for Ipod owners

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by HMHB, Jun 6, 2004.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    I've just bought a 40GB Ipod and have a couple of questions.
    Does the scroll wheel thingy take some getting used to ? I only have to brush it lightly with the tip of my finger and it goes all over the place - it seems to sensitive to me ?
    I have my main computer set up with all my cds stored in iTunes which comes to about 25GB worth of music. If I plug my iPod into my other computer which has iTunes on but no music, will it transfer everything from the ipod to the computer ? Is it possible to keep in synch with 2 computers ?

2. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure about the sensitivity - that's a very subjective thing. Out of the box the iPod will only sync with one computer. IIRC when you connect it to the second computer iTunes will offer to replace the iPod's existing contents with what's in its own library. Hacks are available on the web which allow you to copy the contents of the iPod onto another machine but I don't think that it would be as slick as iTune's own syncing. As an aside, I guess if both machines were Macs and they were on the same LAN you could use some of the Unix replication stuff in OS X to sync the librarys.

A good place to look for Ipod related stuff is http://www.ipodlounge.com/

Regards,

Jules.

3. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Mac or pc ? Getting stuff from an iPod onto a 2nd pc is easy - just use explorer, show hiddens files, and copy the lot. Them import into iTunes on the 2nd computer and it's job done ;) But, as Jules says, sync'ing with two computers wont work.

If those two computers are in the same house though, it's sooo much easier just to use iTunes (rendezvous) playlist sharing.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    Doh !!
    Now why didn't I think of doing that :suicide:
    Thanks
    The scroll wheel thingy - I'm not really sure of the theory behind it. Are you supposed to pretend to turn it clockwise/anticlockwise ?

5. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Yup. It's also speed sensitive, so you probably just need to slow down a little.

6. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, like a laptop's touchpad, the scroll wheel takes some getting used to. Don't worry, you'll get it eventually.

As for syncing to a second computer, you cannot transfer songs from the iPod to the computer without a hack. However, if you set the updating to manual (which I recommend), then you can still transfer songs from the computer to the iPod.