Questions for Gordon?/ or anyone else if you can help!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lmccauley, Mar 4, 2001.

1. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +334
    Well, I'm not Gordon, but I'll see what I can answer.

See http://www.progressivescan.co.uk/interlaceddisadvantages.shtml
    The rainbow effect is like a very, very brief and quite small flash of colour on a part of the screen. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. Over 15 minutes of viewing the Sim2 HT200 my wife noticed it twice - I was distracted by it about every 5-10 seconds. It seems to be more noticeable in high contrast scenes; especially black and white where I noticed it several times per second to once every two or three seconds.
    Only DLP projectors exhibit this phenomenom and some are better than others (the HT200 is meant to be one of the better ones).

If the projector cannot be placed in its optimum position, you might find that the top of the projected image is wider or narrower than the bottom. This can be corrected using either optical or digital keystone projection. Optical is better as digital can introduce artifacts.

The Sanyo projects a beam that is roughly parallel to the ground at the bottom, expanding in height at the top. You can either mount it on a table roughly level with the bottom of the screen, or upside down (e.g on the ceiling) roughly level with the top of the screen. I think the Sanyo only has digital keystone correction.

I would presume component, followed by s-video followed by composite.

You can work it out from the following information: http://www.sanyo.de/english/download/plv-30.pdf

By my reading of the document, a 70" width picture would require the projector to be between 2.8m and 3.4m from the screen.

As I said earlier, you would want the Sanyo level (actualy 82mm inside at 70" distance) with either the top or bottom of the screen.

Err, I think so...

You would want a 4:3 screen for the Sanyo. Gordon could give you a more accurate quote, but you're looking at around £150 for a 7" diagonal, manual pulldown screen or £550 for an owl electric.

Dunno about 11.
    The Sanyo should be used with a 4:3 screen. If you used a 16:9 screen and set it up for 16:9 films you would find that it projected 4:3 material above and below the screen, unlike some other projectors that can re-scale a 4:3 picture inside the 16:9 part of the display.

That's the rumour [​IMG]
    Several of us on this forum are waiting with baited breath to hear what Chris has to say.

I had loads of questions when I started looking at projectors. This forum is very useful and so is a dealer that you can respect and trust. Once I decided that I was happy to buy from Glasgow I arranged a demo and fired off a load of questions to Gordon. Some of his answers generated more questions from me, as did seeing the projectors "in the flesh".

Hope this helps,
    Liam

------------------
    "Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,059
    Graham,

Email me your address and I'll see what I can dig out.

Just to add to Liam's excellent response (the force is strong in this one)

I've seen problems with very long s-video leads. In theory you can run longer than 10m runs but you can get problems. Y/C delay being the one I seem to come up against the most when visiting folks who've gone this way. My advice would be to run a suitable multi-core 75ohm cable between projector and sources. That way you can make up all three types and see which is most robust over that distance. I can supply such a cable if you need it.

Jaggies are best described as "stepped edges on lines whcih are supposed to be straight" Get Titanic and play the section where the ship is leaving harbour for the first time. Look at the leading edge of the ship as it moves across the skyline. It should be a nice sharp edge but you're likely to see it looking serated on most projectors.

Rainbow effect is only seen on single chip DLP projectors. It is more noticeable on PAL material than on NTSC. The HT200 is certainly better at camouflaging it than any other DLP I've seen.

Look forward to the email.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

3. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying a projector soon (Sanyo-PLV30) but need some important questions answering!

Hope you can help?

1, What are jaggies?

2, What is the rainbow effect?

3, Is it only on DLP projectors? (I had a demo on the Simm2 and had major problems with it!)

4, What is keystone correction?

5, Which cable input is best? eg: s-video or composite. (20ft in lenth!)

6, Will I get a 6ft screen in a room size of 13 & 10ft? (which projectors are best for this size?)

7, What is the throw for a 6ft screen?

8, How high from the floor or ceiling can you have a projector?

9, Can they all handle NTSC?

10, Which is the best manual 16:9 screen? (not too expensive!)

11, Do you have to put the projector up first then adjust the screen, or is it the other way round?

12, With the Sanyo-plv30 being 4:3, what sort of image will you get on a 16:9 screen when watching 4:3 and 16:9 films?

13, Are Sanyo bringing out a 16:9 version soon?

14, Can you send me any product information through the post on projectors/screens, or any install info, I would very grateful!

Sorry if there are a lot of questions for you but I don't know anyone else who can help! (they're useless where I live!)

Look forward to your replys.

Thank you

Graham

4. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, alot of questions answered!

Gordon, I've sent you my address today hope you got it ok?

One thing I'd like to know is, does the throw on a 6ft screen differ on different projectors (eg: Sony & Sanyo?)

Cheers,
    Graham