1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions for Denon AVR-3802 owners

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by plb, Oct 18, 2001.

Tags:
  1. plb

plb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my Denon AVR-3802 for about a week now and although I am slowly getting through the very large user manual a have a couple of questions that hopefully other uses may be able to help me with.
    Firstly the volume range is quite wide, ranging from –70 to + 18 but on my amp I have to set the volume towards the top end at about –20. I would have thought with such a powerful amp that you would only have to adjust the volume slightly to achieve a large change in volume?
    Secondly I brought this amp intending to get rear back speakers later and just use the rear surround speakers for now hoping to use these rear surround speakers in a phantom mode to create the rear back effects channel. Can this be done on this amp, I hope so?
    Paul
    :) :confused:

2. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Hi Paul,

I've had my 3802 for about a month now, i too was surprised at first by how far the volume had to be turned up (i run mine at about -25 to -20), but if you go much higher than this it does get loud.

As for the suuround back, I have done the same as you, as I can't afford the extra rear speakers at the moment, and don't really have the space to use them to proper effect. However, I have just got hold of the Phantom Menace, and when you run the THX audio set up, both surround speakers are run simultaneously when the test signal is emitted from what is supposed to be surround back, and from listening to the film, it sounds like they are used as you suggest to give a phantom surround (can anyone confirm this?). In the set-up menu I have set the system up with no surround back speakers, so this may automatically send the EX/ES signal to the surrounds, but i couldn't see any mention in the manual.

Anyway I hope my ramblings have helped.

3. plb

plb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the very informative and reassuring reply Ian, I have also set up my 3802 with no surround back speakers in the set up menu.
    Sounds promising that this phantom rear back channel can work with this amp, can I second your request for confirmation on this? As you say it does not seem to mention this in the manual.
    Paul

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The volume level "problem" is normal, movie soundtracks are mixed differently to e.g. CD, means to say they feature a very wide dynamic range from whispers to explosions.
    To make you hear this the amp needs to be set at a higher level as compared to other sources.
    If the volume poses a problem (e.g. at night) you may change the "dynamic range" (or sometimes called 'night mode') settings to tame it down. Most amps do have this feature.

5. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The Denon amp uses Decibels (Deci-Bels) to display it's amplification value. The decibel scale is not linear and is in fact a logarithmic scale. On old amps that use 0 to 10, setting the volume from 1 to 2 would (in theory) have the same relative increase in volume as 9 to 10. The increase between –59dB and –58dB would not be the same as –20 to –19, the increase would be much higher.
    In summary, the higher the volume, the greater the volume steps.
    mark

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    Just to confirm that I too run my volume at around the -20 mark.

I'm using rear speakers, so I don't know if the amp will generate a phantom image if it is set up for 5.1. I hadn't heard of this feature, and the manual isn't the best I've seen.

All the same, I'me very pleased with its' performance so far. :p

Gary.

7. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Just a thought about the matrixed surround back channels. If you don't have the surround back speakers installed, maybe the amp doesn't decode the signal, and therefore the signal goes to the surround speakers instead, creating what amounts to a phantom surround back. Don't know if this would work, and if its correct i don't know how it would handle DTS 6.1 discrete.

Maybe a load of cr@p, buts its sounds so stupid it could work :confused: .