1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about Toshiba rear-projection TV.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Roosterbooster, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Roosterbooster

Roosterbooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Toshiba 51" (model no 51WH36P) RP tv six months ago. I am very happy with it but I knew nothing about RP when I bought it and recently I have started to worry about the high cost of repair/replacement if it goes wrong. I assume this model has three bulbs, one for each primary colour, does anyone know how much a replacement costs and how long a bulb can reasonably be expected to last? Where can I get the bulbs, just from Toshiba? Can I fit them myself or does an engineer have to do it? Will it cost an absolute fortune when this happens? I am so worried about "wearing it out" that I have brought a portable TV into the living room for watching the news or whatever and keeping the big TV for watching films. Actually I may just sell it as it's a bit too big for the room really.

2. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I have this model and mine's now a year old...

The 'bulbs' are actually CRT's and yes, they are red, green and blue colour. If you have adjusted the set to sensible contrast and brightness levels (i.e. not reset 1!) and don't play consoles on it there is no reason why it shouldn't last many years. RP CRT's are far better than they were even 5 years ago, and as long as you're sensible screen burn should not be an issue and I see no reason for the tubes to last more than 5 years under normal usage, although personally I'd expect to see 10.

Replacement of a PJ CRT is tricky however. It can be done by the user but it is a very complicated task and you really do need to know what you're doing. It will need to be re-white balanced, the geometry redone and re-converged and to be honest this can only really be done by a competent engineer. I would expect it to take about 2 hours to do one tube and more like 3 if all three had to be done. As for pricing it would depend on who you go to I suppose, but it would not surprise me if the price for all three CRT's and labour was around £300.

I think you're worrying too much about this. As long as your picture settings are sensible there is no reason why it shouldn't last for many years. I love the set and though I did have similar misgivings I am glad I bought it. I intend to keep it for many more years yet.

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    (Roostbooster, DON'T READ THIS! :laugh: )

L&H,

Are you sure about that price for replacement CRT's?

When I bought my Phillips RPTV, I made enquiries and was quoted £300 EACH if ever the worse should happen.

I also understand that you have to replace all three to get correct colour balance, even if only one has failed.

Hence my breakdown insurance to prevent sleepless nights! :)

4. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was an estimate, nothing else. £300 per tube is bloody steep! £900 for just 3 tubes seems almost unbelievable. After all they're tiny things! I'll check it out with a friend of mine - he's done a few. Never really thought to ask him actually!

Not certain about the colour balance because when the set as a whole is re-white balanced it only sets for white - it doesn't know what tube has been replaced. Again I can check this out.

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    L&H,

Yes, please check it out.

Then perhaps Roosterbooster can uncover his eyes. :laugh:

6. Roosterbooster

Roosterbooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a relief... sort of. I've been asking around about bulb life expectancy as I was thinking in terms of projector bulbs (3000 hours) but I'm told that they are different beasts entirely, being built to project a much bigger image a much greater distance and so work at a higher temperature. I wouldn't mind paying £300 for a refurbishment after a few years of use but I reckon by that time we'll be able to have Sci-Fi style wall-sized paper thin screens or something for the same price. Thanks for the replies.

7. Roosterbooster

Roosterbooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, I forgot to say about convergence and brightness. I haven't messed about with any settings at all, being ignorant and quite happy with the picture anyway. Should I leave it well alone? Will I have to actually read the manual? It doesn't seem especially bright. I do play with my Xbox on this TV though I am mindful of screen-burn and don't play for hour after hour. Also there are cut-scenes etc so there isn't always a health-bar or whatever on screen all the time.

8. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roosterbooster, cover your eyes!!

TG: He said the last one he did (a Tosh) was £200 for each tube! I was a bit wide of the mark lol!!

Roosterbooster you can uncover your eyes now...

If you're using reset 1 this will accelerate the wear on your CRT's because it's maximum contrast. On mine the contrast is 48 , brighness 53 and colour 37, with black stretch off. This was adjusted from reset 3 because I'm not a fan of SVM or some of the other trickery that gets turned on when you use reset 1. I am also in a pretty dark room so my brightness setting is probably a bit lower than most. Yours will be different to mine, so don't too surprised if you set it to these levels and think 'Ugh! how can he watch it like this?!?'

Play around with the screen settings, but just make sure to note your original ones down if you aren't using a fixed reset mode just in case you aren't happy.

9. Roosterbooster

Roosterbooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I'll try it, thanks.

10. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Oh dear, I was afraid it was something like that! :mad:

Although small, the tubes have to work at 30Kv and are made in relatively small quantities.

When I said about replacing all three for colour balance, what I meant was matching the response at different levels.

You can certainly match old and new tubes at peak white and black level.

It's what happens in between that's the problem! :devil: