Questions about surround speaker setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Rick106, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Rick106

Rick106
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys and gals,
    I'm a new member. This forum seems pretty cool, and I'm very new to this home entertainment malarky, so any help and advice is very much appreciated.
    I'm looking to spend around £200 on a dolby surround sound system. My dvd player is DTS an Dolby Digital compatable. i have a widescreen 28" TV, but its only a Beko one for £230.
    I've just got a few questions i'd like to ask first tho:

1) My TV doesn't have any extra sound ports, it does have a phono jack and Dual Scart. But if watching regular TV and not a DVD how would the surround sound work, as the dvd player wont be switched on? Or the same if watching a Video.
    2) Do I have to buy a 5.1 surround system, or can i just buy 5 seperate speakers to plug straight in to my DVD player, as it has got a Digital Dolby decoder inbuilt?
    3) What is the best way to compare Surround sound systems? How can I tell how good a system is before purchase, as you can buy a 5.1 surround system for £25. But I'm sure it wouldn't compare to one for £200. I'm just asking what spec. I should look at?
    4) What is the difference between a THX certified speaker system and one that's not?
    5) What Surrround sound System would everyond recommend for around £200 or cheaper ofcourse?

thanks for looking,
    Rich

2. Rick106

Rick106
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is no one willing to help me?:(
    I'd really like to find out, how i'm supposed to connect it all up. I'd like to be able to watch tv in Dolby pro-logic mode, but my tv is only Nicam stereo, can this still be achieved?
    Any advice at all would be great. Thanks,
    Rich

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Welcome to the forum :).

In answer to questions 1 & 2:

Not quite sure what you mean here. Are you talking about routing the TV's sound through the DVD player? If so, you probably will not be able to do this unless your DVD player is an all-in-one and has an integrated amp/receiver. It doesn't sound like your's does as these types of systems usually come with the necessary speakers etc. You DVD player may well have a Dolby Digital/DTS decoder but you will still need an amp/receiver/processor to connect it to. You can tell if it has a 5.1 decoder by checking the rear panel for 6 phono output sockets.

The purpose of inbuilt 5.1 or DTS decoders on DVD players is pointless in my opinion. Their only real use is that it facilitates 5.1 sound via older amps/receivers that are not 5.1 or DTS compatible but which do have 6ch inputs, i.e., Dolby Pro Logic Amps. Even budget AV Amps/Receivers will all support Dolby Digital and DTS.

So in answer to your question about plugging speakers directly in to the DVD Player, then no, you cannot do this. You could possibly plug a load of Active Speakers in to it via phono connection but I wouldn't recommend.

Basically your best bet is to buy a budget Dolby Digital/DTS Receiver which will set you back £200-£250. Speakers will off course not be included so you will need to reconsider your budget ;).

£25 :eek:, whatever that is, stay away from it at all costs. My PC speakers cost 10 times that! You should go and have a few demo's yourself and you'll very quickely recognise the qualitiesof some systems over others.

Don't let this concern you. To gain any benefit from THX certified equipment, you'll need to spend thousands of pounds! As a beginner you should concentrate on something a little less ambitious.

I could recommend an AV Receiver for in and around that. For £250 you could pick up a Marantz sr4200 or for a little more, a Denon avr1602. I think you might be best to consider an all-in-one system such as the Digitheatre DTS system which is a great starter set and includes all speakers, sub and amp. It supports Dolby Digital and DTS and has a generous Power rating fro it's size. It is very good and comes highly recommended. I think you can get one for around £270 now but you'll need to shop around online for the best price.

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have audio outputs on the rear of the TV just connect them to the amp, then when watching video or BBC ITV etc, you will be albe to listen to them in surround via the amp. If you have no outputs then you will need a scart > 2xphonos, then connect scart to TV phonos to amp.

You can't connect speakers to a DVD player, the 5.1 decoder is a decoder not an amp, you will have to purchase an amp and speakers to go with it.

As you have only got a limited budget you will have to demo in that price range and get what you think sounds best to you.

Have a look on pricerunner and unbeatable, do a short list then do a post to see if anyone has the same equipment or information on it.

My son just picked up an amp and speaker package for just under £170, it sounds very good, so it can be done.

Sony STR-DE375......
    Yello speaker package.....

Have seen the amp on pricerunner for £122, that leaves you about £80 for speakers Sony STR DE375 or there's the Sony STR-DE485S for £155

Pricerunner Unbeatable

Good luck.

:D

5. Rick106

Rick106
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot guys, that's cleared up a lot. I'm starting to understand a bit now ;) .Unfortunately my tv doesn't have any phono outs at the back, it does have one phono out at the front of the tv for headphones, will this do? If not, i do have an extra scart socket, which as you say I can plug my amp into using a scart-dual phono adapter? Also I'm about to get a new VCR and was going to plug the VCR into my tv using the other scart. Will it still be just as good to plug my new VCR into my tv through the aerial socket? Thanks for the great advice,
    Rich

6. Rick106

Rick106
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, one more question. If I bought a seperate amp, av reciever and then bought a pair of floorstanding speakers for the front, a pair of speakers for the rear, a subwoofer and a centre speaker would this work ok? Or do you have to purchase a set 5.1 surround sound speakers? thanks,
    Rich

7. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,034
    Yes. (short & sweet answer:) )

8. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RF connection is ok, but scart would be better, have a look at a scart switch box, you can then connect the DVD and VCR to AV1.

:)

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,452
    I would suggest that the best way to get pro logic surround while watching TV would be to connect the phono outputs on the back of your new (Nicam?) video to your new amp. Just make sure the video is on and tune to the channel you want to watch.

10. Rick106

Rick106
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh right ofcourse. Will do, and yeah it is a nicam VCR so it should be fine. Cheers,
    Rich