Questions about splitting Sky HD to feed two TVs

Grimroper

Novice Member
I have been reading through a number of posts all about spliting my Sky HD signal to feed two different HD TVs

My set up is currently like this (Ive ignored most non HD items in both rooms to make it simpler to follow)

Front Room

Sky HD connected via HDMI to Sony TV
Wireless router

Conservatory

LG TV
Wireless range extender connected to 5 port network switch with things like PS2, PS3 and laptop attached

My plan Ive come up with so far is this:
  • Bin the wireless range extender
  • Connect the network switch in the conservatory via a long ethernet cable (approx 15m in length) to the router in the front room.
  • Split the Sky HD signal. Have one HDMI going straight to the Sony TV, the other going to a HDMI Balun
  • Connect this HDMI Balun via ethernet to the wireless router in the front room
  • In conservatory connect second HDMI Balun via ethernet to the network switch and to LG TV with HDMI
  • Sit back and watch HD TV in both rooms
As with all the best plans, there are some bits Im not sure about. They are:-

• Is this all overkill and would it be simpler/cheaper to just get a HDMI Splitter and a very long HDMI cable and run that directly from the SKY HD box to the TV in the conservatory (Bear in mind I would need to buy the extra HDMIs, HDMI spliter, Baluns, Ethernet cables in the first place)
  • Will the above other give me sound on the TV in the conservatory? Ive assumed the answer is yes but only in stereo
  • Why do the Baluns have two ethernet ports? Is that so you can split the signal to another TV (ie a 3rd one) or do I need to use both? And if so why?
  • Would the Baluns work if I kept the wireless range extender and did not connect the it directly to the router via ethernet?
Any advice people can give would be much appreciated.

Grim

JH4

Assuming the LG TV can take an HD signal via HDMI, then simply buy a 15M HDMI lead, an HDMI splitter and connect up to both TVs. They will both get a stereo signal. If it was me, I would also buy an in-line HDMI extender which connects at the far end, just before the LG. This might give a more reliable HD signal, as 15M is near the limit for HDMI.
Forget the router and the other stuff. It's irrelevent.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 171211

Grimroper, although the baluns and cable run make use of network cables, the signal is not carried over ethernet, so can't be connected to a router. The network cables are just a carrier and, as far as I am aware, you need both connections.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom