1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about Samsung PS42D5S

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by hazbro, Jun 9, 2005.

1. hazbro

hazbro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

This new plasma from samsung...does anyone know if it is HD compatible...when you look on the international samsung website it states HDTV ...but on uk retailers sites it mentions nothing about it?????

As you can probably tell im a complete newbie to this...

It does state that the tv has a HDMI Interface???can someone explain this to me..what will it do?

2. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80

3. hazbro

hazbro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply mate....

just got off the phone with samsung...i have just asked them if that tv (Samsung PS42D5S) is hd ready and thay have said YES and stated that it has HDMI interface.

I have purchased this set on the basis of what ive been told from samsung!!

If its true and this set cant do HD or have the HDMI interface do you think im within my rights to contact samsung and ask if i can pay for the upgraded model? As the retailer i ordered this set from stated i couldn't return unless faulty.

http://www.samsung.com/he/products/tvplasmadisplay/plasmatv/ps42d5s.asp

take a look at there link it states its hdtv ready..

Can someone please help

4. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Well, they are wrong on both counts - believe me.

Try suing them :devil:

5. hazbro

hazbro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im totally gutted!!!!

not sure what to do now...dont really want to be stuck with this set.

I think this is really bad from Samsung!

As there are no reviews or much information on the net about this plasma yet I called them and asked for there help...and they fed me aload of s***

6. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    If you download the user manual from the link you gave - it shows no HDMI interface!

Now as to the HDTV Ready bit - the manual does suggest that it probably CAN display 1080i (720p?) (50Hz?) HDTV signals over it's Component interface BUT, if so - ONLY if these are not HDCP encrypted. That will rule out most of the good stuff SKY will be transmitting on it's HD channels and of course any future HDCP based DVD players.

You really should be able to cancel the order based on what you've stated.

Distance selling regulations alone (if you've ordered online) will mean you CAN cancel or refuse delivery or at the very least return the item (unopened) within 7 days.

So I wouldn't worry.

Gussie

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,594
    Hello hazbro

Your either being very dim or taking the Mickey :)

At 04:51 you ask a question - at 05:16 you get an answer - and by 06:10 you ignore the advice and order the TV!!!

If the specs you link to are correct then your Standard Definition TV has two YUV Component Analogue Inputs that are compatible with various Standard Definition Component signals plus a 1080i(60Hz) Analogue High Definition signal.

If you have a High Definition source with a YUV 1080i(60Hz) output you can plug it into the TV and the TV will throw away most of the resolution and down scale the image to match the TV's resolution.

So you have a High Definition TV with very limited compatibility options - your big problem is going to be that the likes of SKY HD will be Outputting both 720P and 1080i signals via YUV at 50Hz (not all programmes will be output on YUV) plus 720P and 1080i via HDMI with HDCP encryption at 50Hz Digitally (required if you want to see everything that will be output on SKY HD).

Therefore you have ordered a TV that wont work with SKY HD.

I'd call the supplier in the morning and order a TV that will be compatible with SKY HD; or move to an area of the US that transmits a 1080i 60Hz signal.

Best regards

Joe

8. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    the PS42D5S doesnt have hdmi BUT the PS42S5S has one hdmi input....sometimes these two seperate model numbers are confused

9. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    just seen the samsung PS42S5S at currys and i must say that it really is a huge huge improvement over the 4th generation samsung plasma's the blacks where as good as the panny imho and the screen is a real looker would look great hung on a wall........the feed at curries was crap on all the screen as usual but when i looked at the black level and the way the colours came across you could tell that samsung has learnt from past mistakes!!! i only hope that there HD panel is as good as there SD panel but only high def if it is i think we have a real winner on our hands here