1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about pinoeer VSX-AX10i with 4 ohm speaker

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by xmen2003, Jun 21, 2003.

1. xmen2003

xmen2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Sir

I would like to know whether the Pinoeer VSX-AX10i amplifier can support 4 ohm speaker. I search some posts which state that the amplifier will suddenly shutdown during playing with 4 ohm speaker in loud level. I also download the manual of Pinoeer VSX-AX10i, in its manual, they recommend to connect the amplifier to speaker with 6 ohm to 16 ohm impedance. I hope that anyone can tell me whether it is work or not with 4 ohm speaker. I am planning to buy it to replace my Yamaha AX1, but my all speakers are 4 ohm impedance. Thus. i hurry to need the suggestion. Thank you very much

2. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If the manual recommends 6 to 16 ohms speakers then thats what I'd stick with.

It *will* work with 4 ohm speakers, but as you've found out, if you turn the volume up loud the amp may overheat and shutdown.

If you want this amp, then just do not turn the volume right up.

Incidentally with lower ohmage speakers they will draw more power than a higher phmage speaker for the same volume setting, so max volume with a 16 ohm speaker may be drawing the same power as 2/3rd volume with a 4 ohm speaker, so you're not actually loosing out in volume (not taking into consideration speaker efficiency)

Rich

3. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I agree you should choose a different amp if you have 4 ohms speakers.

Unfortuntely the situation is more complicated than the post above suggests. A class AB amplifier unit is heated up by the voltage that is droped accross the output transistors times the current passing through them. This is at a maximum at about 1/3 power not full power.

A 4 ohm speaker will require half the voltage for a given power however it will require twice the current. This is much worse for the amplifier if it has been designed to drive 8 ohm speakers. It will be delivering twice the current but the output of the amplifier will have to drop more voltage because the speaker is expecting to see less. This is because given that the power supply is constant the voltage has to shared between the speaker and the output transistors.

Sorry if this is a bit technical but I wanted you to understand that this really could limit the amount of volume you can get out of the system. I had a friend who installed a system using 4 ohm speakers on a 8 ohm amp and he had endless complaints from the customer about it shutting down in loud passages. This was not due to overheating but due to over current although it did run very hot as well.

So I would look for another amp that you like, that is specified for 4 ohm operation.

4. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    maybe look at a power amp to drive the difficult speakers - this will give a better upgrade path also. BTW, which speakers are you looking at to go with the ax10?

5. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I use my Ax10 with 4 ohm Kef THX speakers all round and have never had a shutdown. I don't listen at reference volume, but I sure like it too loud for my wife's liking. The 'amp does run very hot though, it even gets very warm if left on with no input, so I think it's just that the 'amp is designed that way.