• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

questions about Panasonic 50PX70

crobo

Prominent Member
I have had a couple of Panasonic/Pioneer plasma panels but never an integrated TV. My brother in law is set on a Panasonic 50PX70 or a Sony 50" (forget which model). He has asked for some advice and I could do with some input here folks.

1. Are Sony's up to Panasonic standards nowadays?

2. Is this Panasonic tv as good as the panels? They seem hellishly cheap considering they have speakers and tv tuner etc

3. He will be using freeview and an important question is how good is the signal? With my panasonic panel I have always used a JS converter - does he really need one for a good PQ?

4. Is it still best to run these in at low contrast?

As I say, any opinions valued

Cheers

chrispeters

Established Member
I have had a couple of Panasonic/Pioneer plasma panels but never an integrated TV. My brother in law is set on a Panasonic 50PX70 or a Sony 50" (forget which model). He has asked for some advice and I could do with some input here folks.

1. Are Sony's up to Panasonic standards nowadays?

2. Is this Panasonic tv as good as the panels? They seem hellishly cheap considering they have speakers and tv tuner etc

3. He will be using freeview and an important question is how good is the signal? With my panasonic panel I have always used a JS converter - does he really need one for a good PQ?

4. Is it still best to run these in at low contrast?

As I say, any opinions valued

Cheers
I have a 42"PX70 CAB....

1. Not really.....

2.Panny`s are Brilliant...prolly the best i seen(apart from pio)

3.I have a crappy old aerial on the roof(been there since olden days)...i get no blockiness or loss of signal wotsover...

4.For 200 hours..i would say yes...after 200 hours do wot u like :D (This is Arguable lol)

crobo

Prominent Member
Thanks for that mate

Anyone else tried one of these 9or similar) +/- a JS RGB to component or VGA converter? (Assuming this has a VGA input, otherwise RGB to component or S-video)

Cheers

jonno_p

Standard Member
Can someone tell me if these sets have a disadvantage only having a res of 1024x768 as opposed to some of the other 50" which have 1360x768? Will this make a big difference when showing HD as ive heard even 1080i res is higher than 1024?

Its very confusing lol

SilverGamer

Prominent Member
Can someone tell me if these sets have a disadvantage only having a res of 1024x768 as opposed to some of the other 50" which have 1360x768? Will this make a big difference when showing HD as ive heard even 1080i res is higher than 1024?

Its very confusing lol

A bit of Déjà vu here as I’ve just made a similar reply to another post on the same question.

Resolution isn’t everything and I wouldn’t worry about it. Don’t equate higher res with higher picture quality it doesn’t work out that way (would be nice and simple if it did). Often the lower res screens actually give outstanding performance, especially with SD.

1080i is actually the same pixel resolution as 1080p, but the Panny PX range will readily accept and process both with no worries.

Read the reviews, listen to owners, go see 1 in action, but don’t base your worries purely on the native resolution.

Good luck.

bobcar

Distinguished Member

Its very confusing lol
The 50PX70 has a resolution of 1366x768. It's the smaller panels that have a lower resolution.

I don't understand the comment about 1080i. 1080i has the same resolution as 1080p and the 1080 relates to the 768 (vertical) not the horizontal (1366).

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom