1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about Optoma RD65 in the USA

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nk89, May 14, 2005.

1. nk89

nk89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planning on buying an Optoma RD65 in a few days (over here Costco has this ludicrous deal that will allow me to buy one for only $1699 :devil: ) but I still have a couple of questions that have been nagging me...
    First, does anyone know anything as far as HDCP support on these and whether its a big deal not to have it if I'm prolly going to avoid DVI anyway?
    And second, is it safe for me to assume that the whole 60 Hz NTSC incompatibility jittering nonsense won't affect models sold in the USA (after all I would hate to spend a dime on something that couldn't play a single DVD in my whole bloody collection :eek: )
    Thanks!

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Hi :hiya:

The US version of the Rd65 doesn't have HDCP. With regards to the 60hz issue this is only a problem in the euro version of the RD65 which is a different version to the US. The euro Rd65 has HDCP and is based on the HD2+ chip and not the older HD2 chip. The US RD65 cant do PAL and the Euro RD65 cant display a 60Hz signal (ie NTSC).

There are a few boxes appearing on the market that claim to get around the HDCP issue. These should become more common with time.

I hope that helps you out a bit. :smashin:

:D

3. nk89

nk89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thanks Razor, I've always seen you prowling around any thread even mildly concerning the RD65 :) . Btw the version you have is hd2+ rite? So just wondering, is there any reason why I should perhaps consider something with the hd2+ chip rather than the regular hd2 rd65? Is there clearly a huge difference in picture quality that warrants paying more :confused: ?

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

nk89 :hiya:

The main difference with the HD2+ chip is improved blacks and a reduced glare in whites. Is it worth seeking out a HD2+ over a HD2? Thats a hard one to answer, yes you can see the difference between the two chips but it all depends on how much more the new chip will cost over the cheap $1699 you can pick up the RD65 for.

Currently there isnt a US RD65 with a HD2+ chip.
    :D

5. nk89

nk89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alrighty thanks again Razor ... I guess im sorta digressing but in general who exactly makes optoma anyway? I hear about how its a Sagem Axium rebadged or something but thats yet another company that doesn't appear on the radar out here. I'm guessing all these brands are relatively popular (or at least known) in the UK, but in the end do you know what company has the final say in actually assembling the tvs?

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

From what I can gather Optoma and Sagem purchase the technology from the far east and rebage it as their own. They have their own tweaks via the frimware. That is as much as I know. Sagem and Optoma are totally independant companies. Sagem bought the design off Optoma. :thumbsup:

7. digitard

digitard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The RD65H though does include HDMI correct?

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

No DVI only.

9. digitard

digitard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nevermind. Hit me. I got HDMI and HDCP reversed again. It happens...lol.

10. HF88

HF88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Razor,
    I am a new member in US. Just got rd65 from reading many many of your good advises. The TV came with "euro power supply core". Not sure this TV is US or Euro version. How can I tell with HD2 or HD2+ chip, with or w/o HDCP and NTSC issue? If It was Euro version, Should I keep it or exchange to US version? Will I have problem with NTSC or Pal in US? Please advise! Only thing I can tell is the HD1 input is for BNC connector. Is this have some thing to do with US or Euro? So far I do not have any problem with the TV, but one (out of 3) of the DVD (Old Sony 5disk) player.
    Thank you very much.

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

HF88 :hiya:

I am flatered a US member joining just to speak to me :blush: :blush:

First off there are now 2 different 65' displays from Optoma in the US, one is the RD65 and the other is SV65XF.

The RD65 hasn't got HDCP and is based on the HD2 chip, it cant display a PAL signal and only does 60Hz NTSC.

http://www.optomausa.com/optomausa/public/products_hdtv_RD65H.jsp

The SV65XF & SV65HF is the newer version of the RD65 and it has HDCP but still uses the HD2 chip and not the HD2+ chip as the Euro version does. Again there is no mention of PAL compatibilty. I cant see what is the difference between these two sets (SV65XF &SV65HF)

http://www.optomausa.com/optomausa/public/products_hdtv_SV65XF.jsp

http://www.optomausa.com/optomausa/public/products_hdtv_SV65HF.jsp

The Euro version of the RD65 has HDCP and uses the newer HD2+ chip. It cant display a NTSC (60hz) picture without judder.

What model number is your set? RD65, SV65XF, SV65HF?

I dont know if the US version judders with a 50 hz input in the same way the Euro version judders with a 60Hz input. The Euro version was released as NTSC compatible but Optoma had to change their advertising and remove the NTSC compatibilty from the spec sheet (all due to me and my complaining :D )

There is a way around this issue but you have to use a pc and powerstrip to correct the 60hz output to 50hz for a NTSC disc to play without judder.

Does your display judder on panning shot with NTSC material. If not you have a US version. I would also think that you have a US version as your power supply is different to us in the UK.

Have you got any PAL dvd's to try out or could you connect your pc upto the display and maybe mess around with powerstrip so that it outputs at 49.89hz. Does the picture judder or does it totally disapear. If it does then you definately have a US version.

With regards to HDCP the newer version the SV65FX and the SV65HF are compatible.

Its nice too see another RD65 owner in these forums as I am pretty much alone :(

12. HF88

HF88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Razor,
    My TV set is RD65. Manufactured in 04-2004. Some how TV shipped with the Euro power supply “cord” (sorry). I am not sure the mistake is only for the cord or the for the whole Euro version TV set. Is there any chance that my TV set is an Euro version? If so, Should it carry HD2+ chip and HDCP? How will I able to tell what is in my set? May be I am over react, probably my set is just an ordinary US version. I am not an audio/video person. I have to slowly digest all the high tech. terms in order to understand all things about this TV. So far my TV worked fine. The display is clear and stable in all HD2, AV1, AV2, AT1 and AT2 connection with cable box, DVD and analog cable to antennas. I haven’t had chance to use SD or PC or DVI ……connection. Hopefully what ever I get is good for what I pay for. Very much appreciated for all the advises and feedbacks. You are right; this is a beautiful TV (but noisy fan). I have ordered another set for my sister. My set delivered within one week. Because overwhelming of buyer, my sister has not got her for more than a month already. Any way, Please send me more advise, so I can learn from you to make this beautiful TV set work perfect and more joyful. Again, Thank you very much. :)

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

:hiya:

I would of thought you have a US version as it seems to work perfectly with your NTSC system. I would of thought that you also have a non HDCP set as the sets with HDCP have only been recently released (ie 2005).

I would call Optoma and quote your serial number for an exact run down on your set.

Nice to sse someone buy 2 of these sets. How much did you pay in the US?

The DVI connection gives fantastic resuts especially with a PC or a DVD player. :D

:thumbsup:

14. HF88

HF88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razor,
    Thanks, I will call Optoma as your recommended. My first set is US $1699. Much better deal on second set because of the delayed shipment. :thumbsup: Still do not know what will be the model for the second set. May be RD65A. Will ship on july 7. Again, please tell me more advise to make my RD65 more functionable gather than just a TV monitor.

Best regard.

15. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

What do you need to know HF88? Have you got a pc to connect?

16. HF88

HF88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes,
    I will try my lab top or connect to PC with long cable from another room. What can I use computer with my TV? Internet? Picture? DVD (better picture than DVD player?)

17. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

A pc is a great tool for these displays. I surf the web, do my work, play games, watch movies, play HD material, divx files etc....

The best connection is the DVI. You will get a small overscan of about 1%, this can be corrected with powerstrip but I dont bother as I dont really notice it (1% = 7 lines on vertical and 12 on horizontal). If you do use powerstrip you can mess about with the frequency output if required. But as most material if not all will be 60hz this doesnt really apply to you. Just set your graphics card to output 1280x720 @60hz. Also update your graphics card drivbers to the lastest version. What card have you got and what is the spec of your pc/laptop.

Programs I use for dvd playback/HD are Windvd 7, fddshow, windows media player classic.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/ACE_Mega_CoDecS_Pack.htm

this codec pack has fddshow and win media classic as well as loads of other codecs for divx etc.

My picture settings will not be the same as yours as I have a HD2+ chip and I think you have the HD2. Try using a disc such as the THX optimiser for your contrast settings. Also you can use set up discs such as DVE or AVIA to fine tune your set up.

Always use the DVI for best connection then either the VGA or component. Only use the scart RGB as a last resort. Ignore the s-vhs and composite inputs as this is a poor connection compared to the others.

There are short cut keys listed on the Optoma web site so you so dont have to access the menu all the time to switch between inputs. Very handy. I programmed them into my pronto. :D

HD is where this set shines and the picture quality is excellent. I dont know much about the US HD cable service so I cant comment on this but I have a fair bit of HD material from various sources. The set really comes to life and the detail is very easy to see on a set of this size.

I hope I covered everything you need to get started.
    :thumbsup:

18. HF88

HF88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razor,
    Thanks, This may be too much for me already. I will try to locate the THX opt. disc for the setting. Then PC next. The display is very good for me already as a first time owner of a HDTV. But How can I tell the picture is perfect with no need of readjust or setting? Do I really need to use the THX to improve the picture? I will try to locate the US forums for US RD65 for more information.
    Thanks.

19. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

:hiya:
    Setting up a set can take a while as the more you see the more you can fine tune. The THX optimiser is on a few dvd's I think starwars has it. There is a sticky showing you how to set up with test discs such as AVIA or DVE, its for front pros but it should help you out.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196873

Blacks are a big area where most people go wrong. Turn the contrast up to high and you will loose the black detail. This is where the THX optimiser helps out.

My settings are listed here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196750

Good luck and keep me posted :thumbsup: