Questions about multi monitor setup for gaming and work

cactuss

Standard Member
Hello all

With my new PC due to arrive on Monday, I have a question re: monitor setup. The graphics card in the new PC will be an EVGA GTX680 2GB card (EVGA 2GB GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature 2 NVIDIA Graphics Card - 02G-P4-2687-KR - Scan.co.uk)

Currently, I have a Dell 2412M monitor - after getting used to the murky white colour (due to antiglare coating), it is a very very nice monitor.

I would be interested in setting up 2 monitors however.

With this in mind, I would be grateful for any advice regarding:

1) Is it possible to have Emails / Facebook / Word docs on one monitor, and the other monitor is just dedicated to playing games?

2) What software would I need to get in order to enable the above to happen?

3) Would I need to buy a second 2412M or could I get a Benq 2420t as my 2nd gaming monitor?

4) What cabling / connections would I need to buy to allow for the above?

5) Will I get a smooth gaming experience on the 2nd gaming monitor from using a 2GB card?

Sorry - I am very new to anything concerning multimonitor setups and would be grateful for any advice!

Thanks!

Sega Mega Dave

Distinguished Member
i used to run 3 monitors with AMD so not sure how similar Nvidia is.

1) id say you would probably need to run the game in windowed mode so you can see the other things like facebook etc... on another screen, im sure someone who does this will correct if wrong. I used to game on all three so never tried it.

2) AMD allow different res monitors not sure if Nvidia do, i cant imagine it makes any difference on make or model of monitor.

3) Caling depends on what connections you have on the card, if there is 2 DVI slots then all you would need is the extra DVI and power cable that comes with the monitor, if not then you could HDMI or whatever other connections the card uses.

4) 2GB will be plenty if all youre doing is having a few docs open on the second monitor, even if yougame on both it should still be enough for all but the most taxing games.

Im sure others who have used Nvidia and used 2 monitors will give better info as i only used 3 for gaming and that was it nothing else.

Pinky Floyd

I use 2 monitors, just go into display settings and muck around till happy. In there you can set 1 monitor as your main and extend that display to your second monitor, thats all you need to do really.

I game full screen on one monitor and my open apps running on the other.

Never tried gaming on dual monitors tho, the bezels being in the middle puts me off a bit.

Does anyone know any games that work well with 2 screens?

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
I use 2 monitors, just go into display settings and muck around till happy. In there you can set 1 monitor as your main and extend that display to your second monitor, thats all you need to do really.

I game full screen on one monitor and my open apps running on the other.

Never tried gaming on dual monitors tho, the bezels being in the middle puts me off a bit.

Does anyone know any games that work well with 2 screens?

can imagine strategy would work well but there arent really many games i'd want the bezel in the middle of

cactuss

Standard Member
Thanks all.

Another question - my Dell is 1920 by 1200 and the Benq would have a resolution of 1920 by 1080 - is that going to pose a problem at all? - if I had facebook/work docs on the Dell and a game in windowed mode on the benq.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Hello all

With my new PC due to arrive on Monday, I have a question re: monitor setup. The graphics card in the new PC will be an EVGA GTX680 2GB card (EVGA 2GB GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature 2 NVIDIA Graphics Card - 02G-P4-2687-KR - Scan.co.uk)

Currently, I have a Dell 2412M monitor - after getting used to the murky white colour (due to antiglare coating), it is a very very nice monitor.

I would be interested in setting up 2 monitors however.

With this in mind, I would be grateful for any advice regarding:

1) Is it possible to have Emails / Facebook / Word docs on one monitor, and the other monitor is just dedicated to playing games?

2) What software would I need to get in order to enable the above to happen?

3) Would I need to buy a second 2412M or could I get a Benq 2420t as my 2nd gaming monitor?

4) What cabling / connections would I need to buy to allow for the above?

5) Will I get a smooth gaming experience on the 2nd gaming monitor from using a 2GB card?

Sorry - I am very new to anything concerning multimonitor setups and would be grateful for any advice!

Thanks!

1. Yup, you just decide what you want where and put it there.
2. None, Windows is pretty good at managing it all - though if you really need something extra then DisplayFusion and Ultramon are good.
3. Whichever, I've previously used two monitors with different resolutions in extended mode.
4. Whatever you need for your monitors, no hard and fast rule
5. It'll be fine, hardly makes a difference I believe.

Think this covers most of it :thumbsup:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Yeah, it's basically a case of plugging in and going, it all works as you'd hope it would.

The main sticking point with this setup is the mouse control, obviously in strategy games it's fine but in something like an FPS game where the mouse moves a view rather than a pointer you basically have to accept the mouse is unusable on the second screen while the game has focus. It is possible to set it up otherwise, but it's hard to keep track of the mouse without a pointer so if you do you'll occasionally find your view stops despite still moving the mouse because it's gone into the area of the second screen and turned into a pointer.

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom