Questions about Intel Processors

Epicurus

I've got a motherboard that supports Intel Socket 775 and Hyperthreading. It is currently using a 3.2ghz P4 with HT and works pretty well.

I'm sure it can be upgraded but I haven't kept up to date with Intel CPU releases and could do with a little advice. If I have a socket 775 motherboard does that mean it will support any socket 775 CPU? If so what kind of CPU should I be going for to see a decent performance improvement?

I can see there are Pentium Ds now and also the Dual Core chips, will these both be compatible? Thanks for any help.

Matt306

Which motherboard is it? Some will support the new Core 2 Duo's with a BIOS update while others won't full stop. Best bang for buck will be the Core 2 Duo 6300 (about £139 with VAT).

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Is it a Dell?
I ask because my Dell is the same spec.
They can be quirky.

Chanser

Don't think Core 2 Duo is compatible at all with your motherboard. As it needs a new vrm. Basically meaning you need a new board.

It may support Pentium D's though.

Epicurus

Yeah that was my feeling, that Pentium Ds would work but not core duos. It's a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P PC.

Matt306

I don't think the 915G chipset is capable of taking anything more than the P4HT processors.

Epicurus

Ah ok, that's a shame. Not sure I can be bothered to change the mainboard just for the sake of a small increase in performance, and Conroe isn't cheap enough to make me want to splash out yet.

I'm very pleased with the performance of my PC anyway, along with the HT, 2gigs of RAM and a 7600GT it performs pretty damn well. I'm just another upgrade junkie though!

Cheers for all the advice.