Question Questions about Fibaro light switch modules

freddyq

Hi all,

I have some questions about the Fibaro light switch modules which I'm hoping people on here will know the answer to:
  1. Does the Single Switch 2 module have a minimum load? I'm asking because I'm looking to use this module where I've got say a couple of downlights (say 5W each) and a pair of external lights which again wouldn't have big wattage.
  2. I understand the Dimmer 2 has a recommended minimum load of 50W - anything below this you should also use the Dimmer Bypass module. My question is if I am controlling a light which is 50W or more, or say I have a group of downlights which equal 50W or more, when I dim them and the total wattage goes below 50W is that going to cause issues? Or is there another way to work this out?
  3. I want to have an ambient light in my hallway for use in the evenings which provides enough light so we can see where we are going and dimly lighting the hallway space but not being a full bright light. I have one downlight in just the right location which I can wire to it's own switch and put a dimmable downlight bulb in but again I'll have the problem of the minimum load of the Fibaro Dimmer 2 and for one downlight I don't want to have to use the Dimmer 2 and the Bypass module. So what are my best alternative options? One option I've thought of is to use a LIFX bulb which cuts the need for any Fibaro style modules. Any ideas or suggestions welcome!
Worth pointing out I've already got other lights around my house wired with Fibaro modules, I've also got some Smartthings sensors and I've got the Smartthings hub as well as Google Home which I use as hubs so any suggestions for (3) above need to work with one or both of these.

TIA!

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Personally I'd use ZigBee bulbs for the problem areas, they control their own dimming and control so no issues with flickering and the like.

I've found a variance in ZigBee bulbs, particularly relevant here being the bulbs lowest dimmed setting. You do get what you pay for and cheaper bulbs do tend to be brighter on the dimmest setting. For that reason I'd suggest a Hue White ambience GU10 for the hallway. White ambience denotes a tuneable white bulb in the Hue range, they're reasonably affordable, moreso if you have patience to wait for one of the many Amazon offers they appear in.

freddyq

Personally I'd use ZigBee bulbs for the problem areas, they control their own dimming and control so no issues with flickering and the like.

I've found a variance in ZigBee bulbs, particularly relevant here being the bulbs lowest dimmed setting. You do get what you pay for and cheaper bulbs do tend to be brighter on the dimmest setting. For that reason I'd suggest a Hue White ambience GU10 for the hallway. White ambience denotes a tuneable white bulb in the Hue range, they're reasonably affordable, moreso if you have patience to wait for one of the many Amazon offers they appear in.
I'm not averse to zigbee bulbs but what's the difference between them and LIFX bulbs? Also, can you recommend any zigbee bulbs? I'm not big on the Philips Hue stuff purely because I don't like the fact they force you to buy their bridge and I've already got Smartthings and Google Home.

Somebody

Standard Member
Excuse me for Jumping in but I think LIFX are WiFi and connect to your router. On the zigbee front I have Smartthings and bulbs from Ikea, Sengled and latterly a HIVE GU10 from their recently half price offer. All bulbs are dimmable but not colour changeable. I plan to buy more HIVE GU10s when the price is right.

D

Deleted member 27989

I'm not averse to zigbee bulbs but what's the difference between them and LIFX bulbs? Also, can you recommend any zigbee bulbs? I'm not big on the Philips Hue stuff purely because I don't like the fact they force you to buy their bridge and I've already got Smartthings and Google Home.
The bridge is in many of the starter packs which are often the cheapest anyway. Just plug it in and forget it and you’ll get good integration with much better quality lighting than any other system provides.

In my opinion of course 👍😀

freddyq

The bridge is in many of the starter packs which are often the cheapest anyway. Just plug it in and forget it and you’ll get good integration with much better quality lighting than any other system provides.

In my opinion of course 👍😀
Fair point and you're right - one of the LIFX bulbs I was looking at would cost £40+ whereas there are Hue starter kits out there with the bridge included for about £60 so maybe I will look into that :)

Does the Hue ecosystem integrate with Google Assistant and Smartthings if you have the bridge?

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom