1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about dvd disks?If you

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by haujobbz, Sep 6, 2003.

1. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    1:Are all dvd films identical copies of each other , off the gold master disk, for instance say you buy 2 copies of lord of the rings will they both have the same identical picture or will they both be different even though they came of the same pressing machine. I question this because i bought the body guard movie and the picture wasnt that good so i thought if i take it back and swap it for another copy of the bodyguard maybe the picture will be better. Which would then mean no copy is identical :rolleyes:

2:Is there such a thing as disk rot, where the data actually decays,or holes appearing on the disks.

3:Have any of you bought dvds and noticed on the outer side of the disk parts of the foil missing and will this spread.
    :blush: no really.

4:If you buy a dvd and the picture isnt good and is grainy and suffering from picture noise and pixellation, do you blame the actuall master copy of the movie or bad authoring or the actuall disk quality.

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    1. No there are no difference on the same edition, except if you've gotten a bad disk. There are often other editions that are better, like Superbit.
    2. Yes, I have proof there is:(
    3. I've not noticed that.
    4. There can be several reasons for this, like bad mastering, old film, bad DVD player?

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,829
    1. Identical, if they're the same edition.

2. Yes, but it's very rare. No holes to speak of, but you may notice colouration (Original Terminator discs are a good example of this).

3. Err no.

4. All 3, but you need to add some to that list too: quality of DVD player, quality of cables, quality of display (PC/TV/projector).

Regards
    Matt