Questions about dvd-a and surround processors

BrutalPizza

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Back with another set of questions
Also gonna apologise now in advance because i'm not exactly sure if this forum is suitable for these two questions.

Okay so, about dvd audio discs. I see some players state they don't play dvd audio discs, like the high end Panasonic DMPUB900, well it was in a review anyway. I want to ask, if some dvd plays 'dont support' dvd audio discs, then how come I was able to play some on extremely low end DVD players and still have DTS working? Is it that all dvd players will play them, but some features arent available?

My second question would be that, I like a lot of the vintage and older hifi and video gear. So I might use a VCR with my setup eventually. So, years ago when people used to use surround processors like the Marantz SP-50 for example to get surround sound out of stereo sources like a VCR. Is there a way I could get a modern reciever to do this? Like the onkyo txnr656?

-Thanks guys
-Matt

Player capability to play different disks is not related how high or low end it is. Features must be supported by manufacturer, sometimes different hardware is needed, depending on features.
There isn't possibility, that some same type of disk will play somehow with limitations and some not. It just plays or not.
Modern receivers have analog audio in connections, white-red rca. Scart to rca lead will work for VCR and you will get up converted stereo sound - dolby prologic or dolby surround upmixed. All your speakers will work - 5.1 or even 7.2.4, if you have Dolby Atmos installed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom