Questions about creating edited DVDs on the XS34

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by necronom, Oct 17, 2005.

1. necronom

necronom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It seems I've wasted hours of chapter creating time as they are all lost when I re-size for the DVD, but apart from being annoyed about that, I have a few questions:

1) I've just read in the manual that the bit rate needs to be 4.0 or above to go on DVD!!! :eek: Page 122 under the "Preparation" note. This can't be true, can it? That means that I can't put anything recorded in LP, or indeed most things that will be re-sized (like the stuff I am now wanting to put on a disc). If this is true, the the machine is virtually useless to me. 4.0 will be something like 2 hours 15mins I think. :rolleyes:

2) There is a High Speed Dub, a DVD Video Creation, and a Finalization option. If the DVD creation is the one that selects the titles and creates the menus, what is the point of the other two?

It looks like the high speed one just copies the video. What would happen if I put it in a DVD? Would it just play everything straight away one title after another?

It looks like finalizing it adds a menu. Is this to add it to a disk (DVD-RW I suppose, as a DVD-R wouldn't allow further writing) that has only got the video on it? I thought discs needed to be finalized to play properly on other machines. If so, why would you ever not use the DVD Video creation opton. It seems a bit pointless to me to have the other two options. Am I missing something?

2. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) I've just read in the manual that the bit rate needs to be 4.0 or above to go on DVD!!! Page 122 under the "Preparation" note. This can't be true, can it? That means that I can't put anything recorded in LP, or indeed most things that will be re-sized (like the stuff I am now wanting to put on a disc). If this is true, the the machine is virtually useless to me. 4.0 will be something like 2 hours 15mins I think.

No You can record from HDD to DVD but any bit rate less than 4.0 and the recording resolution drops. I.E images become noticably softer.

2) There is a High Speed Dub, a DVD Video Creation, and a Finalization option. If the DVD creation is the one that selects the titles and creates the menus, what is the point of the other two?

It looks like the high speed one just copies the video. What would happen if I put it in a DVD? Would it just play everything straight away one title after another?

Mostly, if you want to play the created DVD on another player you will need to finalize it but if you are going to play it on the machine it was recorded on you don't. If and when you come to want to play the dvd on another machine it MUST be finalized and then (if you have chaptered your recording) finalizing will split the recording into titles and chapters.

AB-P

3. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi! Firstly, as you seem to have discovered, if you convert the bitrate of a recording to dub it onto DVD, you'll lose all chapter marks. You also lose a little bit of quality (as it has to re-encode to MPEG a second time), and it does it in real time (x1 recording speed). So if you know you're going to archive to DVD, it's worth setting the bitrate you want, and "DVD compatible mode on", before you do the original recording.

Personally, I almost always use "dub selected items" (i.e. high speed dubbing to DVD). That way, for a series of short programmes at LP, I fill up a DVD-R over 3 or 4 sessions. You can write to a DVD-R on more than one occasion, but you can never OVERWRITE on it. So you can add to a DVD-R, but you cannot change anything that's on it, and you can't regain the disk space if you "delete" something. (Also, you probably wouldn't be too wise to try to dub 100 1-minute adverts onto DVD-R all on separate occasions!!!) Once you're happy with the disk, you have to finalise it for it to play on other players. That will then give you title and chapter menus. Finalising cannot be reversed on a DVD-R, it can on a DVD-RW.

Lastly, "DVD creation" does the whole job in one go, i.e high speed dubbing + finalising with menus. I use that if I'm sticking a whole film onto DVD, filling the disk. You cannot use the all-in-one "DVD creation" function for a recording with bitrate lower than 4.0 Mbps. However, you can do the normal high speed dubbing onto DVD of recordings with ANY bitrate!

(By the way, as ABP said, recordings lower than 4.0 Mbps in DVD compatible mode are recorded in half-resolution, which tends to look a bit soft or fuzzy - OK for discussion programmes, not recommended for films / fast action... Also, as I understand it, recordings between 3.0 and 4.0 Mbps in VR mode on the hard disk or on DVD-RAM (i.e. not compatible for a DVD) use a better "intermediate" resolution, although I may stand corrected on that!)

4. necronom

necronom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the info. guys. :) I think I understand it all now.

I have a film and documentary to put on a disc, so I'll re-encode the film and documentary. Hopefully if I do the documentary on LP (2.2), the film will fit without change. Then I'll re-do the chapters and (because I can't use the DVD Creation option because one is lower than 4.0), I'll high speed dub them both to the DVD, then finalise it to add the menus.

In the future I'll think about what I am going to do with them before I spend ages setting up chapters!

It's still strange that the DVD Creation option won't work with lower quality video, even though you can do exactly the same using two other options.

I've never been brave enough to record straight onto a DVD-R :blush: I used to have a Lite-On DVD recorder, and I'd always record to RWs, then copy it to an R afterwards. I thought once the laser had shut off, that was it, no more writing. At least I know now.

Thanks,

Paul.

5. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    No worries, Paul - hope it works!!