questions about connections

Ash007

Standard Member
Reaction score
Could anybody answer these setup questions for me. I couldn't find the answers in the newsgroups

Which is more prevalent - digital coax or digital optical? Im curently getting cables for my current DVDplayer, which has both outputs, but when i eventually change my DVD player I don't want to be restricted by conections or have to change cables. As they do the same job with the same quality with one having no advantage over the other, is one likely to become the standard whilst the other one fades away, or do you think most DVD players will continue to have both coax and optical?

I notice you can daisy chain toslinks. Would you get a degregration of quality if you linked 3 or 4 to get a long 15-20 metre run?

Connecting up a YUV conection, can you just use 3 composite phono type cables or are the 3 cables all different. I have several old composite phono cables around (them red and white analogue audio stereo leads ). Are these leads fine or do you need special YUV cables or are they the same.

Is YUV another name for YPbPr?

Can Scart RGB not do progresive scan?

For progresive scan do you need a special progresive scan tv, a special progresive scan player des the DVD need to be a progresive scan disk?

Cheers for any help with these matters,

Ash

Well I can answer a couple of those for you.

digital optical is most common. My amp only has one digital coaxial which connects my DVD player. X-Box and Sky + on optical. Having said that, it seems coaxial is perhaps the slightly more preferable of the two as it is more robust (?)

To use progressive scan, you need both an enabled DVD player and a TV that will accept the signal. Bear in mind that there are two types: NTSC ( US ) and PAL (Europe). The more expensive equipment does both with the cheaper stuff doing NTSC or noner at all. Personally I just buy Region 1 DVDs now.

Hope that#s all accurate. :clown:

Connecting up a YUV conection, can you just use 3 composite phono type cables or are the 3 cables all different. I have several old composite phono cables around (them red and white analogue audio stereo leads ). Are these leads fine or do you need special YUV cables or are they the same.
This will work, but the quality will not be that good. Cheap audio leads are not good for audio and are rated at 50 Ohms and dedicated video leads are rated at 75 Ohms. Spending £20 or so will give a far better result than 'any old cables'. Depending on what you are connecting it seems stupid to cut cornewrs for the sake of a good lead. A progressive scan DVDP to plasma really should have good leads.
If your budget is tight then have a look in the trading forum here as people often sell their leads when upgrading.

Is YUV another name for YPbPr?
Yes!

Can Scart RGB not do progresive scan?
No!

Mark.

Can Scart RGB NOT do progresive scan?
No

Mark

I hate double negatives!

:confused:

So is that....Yes it can or no it can't do prog scan?

RGB Scart cannot carry progressive scan.

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom