Questions, about buying a replacement bulb

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mikeym, Jan 11, 2012.

1. mikeym

mikeym
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Welcome to the Forum. :)

(That must hold the record for the shortest first post!)

Please use the search facility initially, as there have been several recent threads on this topic.

3. mikeym

mikeym
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, first off sorry for the basic questions but this is my first time with a projector so I have a few questions. I have just been given a hand-me-down Philips LC 3631 projector and was trying to make the most out of what is now an older projector. The first thing that comes to mind is getting a reasonable screen to project onto. The next thing that occurs is that it must be well through its 6000 hour bulb life. I was looking at replacing a bulb and most appear to be well outside my budget, £400+ for a lamp. I did find bulbs for less. Would this be a problem to replace? I've seen that some lamps have a circuit that shuts down the lamp after a certain number of running hours, would that be a problem if I only replaced the bulb on my projector? How hard is it to replace the bulb? The cheapest bulb I've been able to source is about £96 and is non-branded and says it is compatible with the LCA3122 bulb for my projector. But its spec shows it as being 2400 lumen with a contrast of 600:1 where as my projector is only 1100 lumen with a contrast of 300:1. Does this mean that it isn't really compatible? If it is what would it mean for the life of my projector?

4. mikeym

mikeym
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Accidentally, prematurely clicked on post! :)

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    No problem, I've done it too. :blush:

My first thought is that it's a very old projector and it might not be worth a new bulb, but I hope our resident experts can advise.

Good luck! :smashin:

6. mikeym

mikeym
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Fingers crossed someone will be able to answer my questions. To my mind it might be worth it for a sub £100 bulb, but I'm not sure about spending more than that.