1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about 50" screens....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stonedog, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Stonedog

Stonedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    been lurking on this board for couple of months and ive decided to go for it and take the plunge. In for a penny in for a pound as they say so im gonna go for a 50" screen....

1. Any 50" owners out there can recommend their screen for good PQ ? i suppose ive really been concentrating looking up info on the pioneer pdp50hde and the new panny but are there any other good PQ 50" options for round the same price? gonna be hooking up Tivo , Sky digital , dvd and modded xbox...

2. Is there a noticable deteriation in PQ between a 42" and a 50" screen?

3. the way my lounge is shaped im probably gonna end up sitting bout about 5m from the plasma which will be wall mounted...is there an optimum viewing distance?....as far as wall mounting goes do most people mount them at eye level when sitting? or higher?

sorry for so many questions)...really finding it hard to decide which screen to go for..it seems as soon as i make my mind up i change it again((... :mad:

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (These are personal opinions not scientific fact!)
    1. Can't give honest answer seen lots of 42" but only ever a pioneer 50" mx type model which was amazing!!
    2. The Picture quality isn't lower but the signals quality problems can show up more obviously. From reading this forum i get the idea that you shouldn't have a problem as long as you use sky/freeview for TV and a high quality DVD player but thats the same experience i've had at 42".
    3. Distance and height is subjective but I like centre of screen to be at eye level!

3. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I saw a few 42", 50" and 61" plasmas at the weekend, and I'd say you'd have to be very sure of your source to get something that big. Charlie's Angels was playing on DVD through the 60 or 61" Sony and looked absolutely awful. The same thing on a 42 looke fantastic.

4. Fat Tony

Fat Tony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Can't tell you much about 50" vs 42", but 5m is a long way and I would go for the larger screen, if you can afford it. From many comments, you get used to the size very quickly. The manufacturers usually quote a min. distance of around 4 or 5 times the height of the screen, but it's down to personal preference.

I'd mount the screen lower, as bobbypunk suggests, but again there are loads of people who mount pretty high (eg above fireplaces) and appear happy. Have a look at the thread called "get your plasmas out for the lads - pt II" and you'll see what others are doing ...

Good luck! :thumbsup:

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    50" prices are getting realistic now, and as the others say, 5m is a long way, the 50 will not appear over large. The big 3 recommended here are Pioneer, Panasonic and Fujitsu, each with small advantages over each other. In fact your biggest decision is not which make or size, but 'integrated TV or panel only' as it affects your other components so much. Witha sky box or freeview, and a surround amp and speakers, which you'll need for decent DVD sound, there's no need for an integrated TV, which do have drawbacks, but also of course are family friendly for watching a bit of corrie. We favour the panel only approach, and rarely sell just a plasma, but tend to work the whole thing into an integrated entertainment solution, as the buzz phrase goes, with a universal remote to finish it off. Then you'd never know you didn't have a 1 box solution.
    BTW we fight a constant war over mounting height, beware the interior designer! It's just a TV, it's got to be at a comfortable watching height for everyone in the house.

6. Maninblack

Maninblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    My Fujitsu has great quality with most sources, I certainly never think that would be better smaller. I am using a scaler though. I personally prefered the Fujitsu to the pioneer, but the pioneer was not set up specifically to wow me.

I agree 5M is more than far enough away to never make you think you have gone too big.

I think my screen is mounted too high, but I didnt set that, my interior designer did!

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You should consider yourself warned! My business partner is an interior designer, very handy as a custom installer, I get her to argue with the customers own designers. It sneaks under their guard. Given half a chance they'd spoil about 1/2 of my lovely installs.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Stonedog

01. Pioneer PDP-504HDE PlasmaTV or Pioneer 50MXE1 and Panasonic TH-50PHD6BX Plasma Displays top our hit list.

02. The 50" units will show up flaws more than the 42" - you just have to work a touch harder to ensure your sources are up to the job.

If you can forgo the sexy looks of the PlasmaTV units and go with a no frills Plasma Display you could consider adding in an external video processor to optimise your input signals.

03. Whatever your comfortable with - some folk like to sit in the Front row of the Cinema some the Rear and some in the Middle.

Height wise I'm with MAW - photographers and interior designers tend to go for a 'sight line' that looks good when your stood up surveying the room; its just a pity most folk prefer to sit or lie down when watching a movie; of course given the cash you could get a height adjustable wall mount!!!

(And strangely enough its the same photographers that insist on inserting DVD and CD's into players shiny side up when taking pack shots!!!)

Stick with one of the above screens and ensure the source kit is up to the job and you'll have great images!

Best regards

Joe

9. philinman

philinman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i have a PDP504 wall mounted and it is 950 from the floor to the bottom of the plasma i find the height just right :D but its up to you as to what height you want it . people thought it would be too high but its fine . if you have a crt tv you tend to have look down at it so mounting a tv on the wall to look slightly up goes against the grain a bit i think :rotfl:

just my 2pence worth :zonked:

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    What can I say, Phil? under 1m seems OK to me, but as you say, you have to be there,

11. philinman

philinman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    cut out a bit of card the same size as the screen and stick it on the wall for while and see how you get on .
    as for 50" screen i have never looked back and love my screen to bits
    i went for the tv version simply to allow me to have a central box to conect to as i have the screen cables put in the wall so connection to the screen is easy through the media box as i change stuff quite often

:hiya: maw how tricks

If every one bought the same stuff we would have nothing to talk about would we :smashin:

12. Stonedog

Stonedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmmm ok guys ..thanks a lot for all the input
    gonna go demo some 50" screens tomorrow..however i cant find anywhere to demo a pioneer 50mxe1 . Would the PQ on a 50HDE be the same on a Mxe1?
    i know the Mxe1 is just a screen but i dont watch terrestial (Outside ariel blew down bout 12 years ago) and couldnt i use Digibox or Tivo as source directly into screen? anyone know if there is any major difference otherwise between the two? Looking at a couple of the older Pannys tomorrow and maybe a viera too if i get time (wifes birthday :rolleyes: )
    Will an external video processor make THAT much difference to watching Sky digi? and how much is a decent one gonna cost me?? (there goes the wifes present!)
    Also can anyone recommend a dvd player to compliment my new plasma? bear in mind ive had to sell the kids to get the screen and its gonna be the dog next if it costs too much,,,,,,,,,,,
    thanks again guys....sorry for all the newb questions...

Mark

13. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Not quite, but it will do for a start. The MXE1 is more configurable, and you should be able to get a better picture with calibration - but the demo unit you see is not likely to be set-up to its best.

This is a can of worms. External scalers can improve sky & dvd. Some problems with sky (artefacts on low bandwidth channels etc) will not be fixed, but the image as a whole can be improved. You can go as far as getting your sky box modded to output video in digital, into a digital processor, and to your plasma. Go and see the video processor section - lots for you to read.

Again, loads for you to look at (see seperate section to forum). With all these things, the more you spend, the better it will all get, with diminishing returns. What's your total budget for everything, what do you already have and what do you want (simple 1 box solution, or much better quality, but boxes everywhere)?

PS - while 50" displays are great (I would think so, I've decided to get one), they obviously show poor signals up more than a 42" display. IMO it's only worth going 50" if you can provide a decent source and have decent sound (for me, a 42" display with good source & sound would be a better experienec than a 50" with a £500 all in 1 system).

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'd agree with all that. A processor/scaler will cost £1000 or more, you will see a difference, just whether it's worth it to you is the question. Where are you, there's bound to be somewhere we can suggest to demo.

Edit. looks like av sales then!

15. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    You can get decent video processors under £1000 - for about £1200 you can get a one with SDI in & out, that will 1:1 pixel map.

Yes does look like AV Sales. INO their current setup favours the Panny.

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Stonedog

Keep in mind if you go with an external Video Processor from the likes of Lumagen and a Pioneer MXE1 you wont need to spend as much on the DVD player.

Like your Digibox signal you should look at outputting Interlaced video from the DVD player (which really becomes a Transport to read the discs - not process the video) and let the Video Processor optimise the signal before Inputting it to your Display.

You'll want a DVD player with decent sound of course but you wont need to spend huge amounts for a decent DVD to act as a Transport - you could save £300+ on the DVD player doing it this way (assuming you had been contemplating a Pioneer DV-868AVi or similar) and put that cash towards the Video Processor.

Best regards

Joe