Questionnaire

zishan03

Standard Member
Hey,

Is anyone willing to fill out a gaming questionnaire for me to help me with my dissertation, it will only take you like a maximum of 5 minutes.

If you want I can post the questionnaire up in this thread and people just give their feedback as replys, I think people will find each others answers quite interesting.

Thank You in Advance,

Zishan

adrian29459

Novice Member
I'll be happy to aslong as the questions aren't essay length.

zishan03

Standard Member
Hey everyone, I decided to just post it up in the thread to get the maximum amount of feedback, I look forward to your answers and once again, thank you very much.

First of all I want to apologise for the poor layout of the questionnaire, I copied it in from a Word document so all the formatting is not perfect. Secondly I just want to say thank you in advance as this will be a great help to me. It might be easiest for you to just make a list of question numbers and write or answer next to them. Thank You.

1. Have you ever played video games?

Yes No

2. Do you play video games on a regular basis?

Yes No

3. On average how many hours a week do you spend playing video games?
Less then 2 hours, 2-4 hours, 4-6 hours, 6-8 hours, 8-10 hours, 10-12 hours, 12-14 hours, 14-16 hours

4. How many years have you been playing console videogames?
.................................................. ............................................

5. How interested are you in Video Games? (Please put a circle around the number that matches your view most closely)

10 Very Interested
1 Not at all interested

6. Which of the following consoles do you own?

Playstation 1 Sega Dreamcast
Playstation 2 Microsoft Xbox
Nintendo 64 Microsoft Xbox 360
Nintendo Gamecube

7. Out of the consoles you own, which is your favourite and why?
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ……

8. Would you say you are loyal to any particular brand of video games console?

Yes (please state brand and why below) No (please state why below)
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ……

9. Please number each of the factors listed below in order of importance to you in your choice of a new video games console. Number the most important 1, the next 2 and so on.

Manufacturer of the console (Brand)
1st Party Games Support
3rd Party Games Support
Ability to play online
Ability to play DVD’s
Ability to act as a media centre
Design of the console
Design of the controller
Popularity amongst friends (social aspect)
Exclusive games
Reputation of the console
Other (please state) …………………………….

10. When Microsoft first entered the video games market with the original Xbox, what were your thoughts on the Xbox brand?

11. Four years later and with the introduction of the Xbox 360, what are your thoughts of the Xbox brand now?

12. Would you buy a console because it is the first to the market with new technology?

Yes No

13. If you did not presently own a console, which would you choose from the following and why?

Nintendo Gamecube Microsoft Xbox 360

14. Please use one or two words to describe what you think of the following consoles:

Nintendo Gamecube………………………………………….
Microsoft Xbox 360…………………………………………..
Playstation 2………………………………………………….
Microsoft Xbox………………………………………………

Thank you for taking the time to complete the questionnaire. Unless you have a problem with it, could you please state your gender and age at the bottom of your answers please.

Thanking You

Zishan

Melkor

Novice Member

Yes

Yes

Less then 2 hours, 2-4 hours, 4-6 hours, 6-8 hours, 8-10 hours, 10-12 hours, 12-14 hours, 14-16 hours

14-16 hours

Since I was 5 (Amiga), so 12 years.

5. How interested are you in Video Games? (Please put a circle around the number that matches your view most closely)

10 - Very intrested

Nintendo Gamecube (all of them)

Sega Dreamcast, this console was highly underated though it had a great set of games (if not a huge collection) and the capabilities were amazing for its time. Online ready, revolutionary memory card, amazing graphics (games such as Shenmue rival the majority of games made for PS2) all make this console my favorite, even though it isnt one of 'current generation' consoles.

No, I do not see why people have to be loyal to a particular brand when every company produces games that are great in their own way. Microsofts Halo franchise brought me as an Xbox fan (bought a 360 on launch due to my high hopes), games such as Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy along with classics such as Tomb Raider mean that i'm also a fan of Sony (aiming to purchase the PS3). Finally, the original and pure gaming experiance offered by Nintendo, with games such as Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Zelda meant that I purchased a GameCube and planning on buying a Revolution. Just because you're loyal to one company doesnt meant you cant be loyal to another.

9. Please number each of the factors listed below in order of importance to you in your choice of a new video games console. Number the most important 1, the next 2 and so on.

Manufacturer of the console (Brand) 7
1st Party Games Support 4
3rd Party Games Support 5
Ability to play online 2
Ability to play DVD’s 9
Ability to act as a media centre 10
Design of the console 1
Design of the controller 3
Popularity amongst friends (social aspect) 11
Exclusive games 6
Reputation of the console 8

10. When Microsoft first entered the video games market with the original Xbox, what were your thoughts on the Xbox brand?

I was at first dubious, as it was a new venture for Microsoft, though I believed their gaming experiance on the PC format and Bill Gates' deep pockets would pull them through. While it is true that the Xbox had few true 'legendary' games, Halo kept me gripped for many months with Xbox's great online service (truelly above Sony's pitiful attempt) and, while Halo was the main game I played on my Xbox, I was not sorry I purchased the console.

11. Four years later and with the introduction of the Xbox 360, what are your thoughts of the Xbox brand now?

With the Xbox brand firmly entrenched in the gaming market, I can safely say that Microsoft have done alot of positive things in regards to this franchise. The Xbox 360 built upon the mild success of the original Xbox and modified the few errors that were present in the first console. I whole heartedly agree with Bill Gates choise of ditching HD-DVD over a DVD drive - a game console is meant to be just that, not some kind of DVD playing, music storing monster (though I dont begrudge these features if the price is not affected) - and while it is slightly unsettling over the amount of vicious competition Microsoft has aroused with their entering of the market, I am sure the Xbox 360 brand will continue to grow positively in my eyes.

12. Would you buy a console because it is the first to the market with new technology?

Yes

13. If you did not presently own a console, which would you choose from the following and why?

Xbox 360 - Powerful machine, great launch line-up and many excellent games due for release, wireless controllers, high-definition games and an awesome online service.

14. Please use one or two words to describe what you think of the following consoles:

Nintendo Gamecube - Pure gaming
Microsoft Xbox 360 - Powerfull beast
Playstation 2 - Massive backcatalogue
Microsoft Xbox- Halo

Mike Clayton, male, aged 16

hpoom

OK, here are my replys. Good luck with the dissertation!!!

YES

YES

8-10 HOURS

15 YEARS APROX

Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube (plus many more not on your list)

Nintendo Gamecube. I love the Nintendo only titles like Starfox, Zelda, Mario Kart and F-Zero!

YES, I prob play more and spend more on Nintendo

1st Party Games Support: 1
3rd Party Games Support: 2
Ability to play online: 5
Ability to play DVD’s: 8
Ability to act as a media centre: 9
Design of the console: 6
Design of the controller: 4
Popularity amongst friends (social aspect): 3
Exclusive games: 7
Reputation of the console: 7

Oh no not another buggy M$ product, will probably blue screen every 2 mins

They have done well in their time in the industry, but are still not Nintendo!

NO

GAMECUBE, for price and number of titles (1st and 3rd party)

Nintendo Gamecube………………………………Good, but starting to show it's age
Microsoft Xbox 360……………………………….Xbox 2 (nothing special) same games better graphics!
Playstation 2…………………………………………Underpowered compaired to Nintendo and Microsoft
Microsoft Xbox………………………………………Was good for Microsofts first try, but was also pricey at launch!

adrian29459

Novice Member

Yes

Yes

14-16 hours

16 years

Playstation 1 Playstation 2 Microsoft Xbox
Nintendo Gamecube

It is close between the xbox and gamecube, but I would have to say xbox because before xbox I only owned a PS2 and I was very much a fanboy of that console, until I tried a friends xbox and witnessed the brilliant features which made it so much better, such as custom soundtracks, analogue triggers, superb graphics, enhanced graphics on third party titles, xbox live. People may argue and say that PS2 had more exclusive titles but the xbox had its fair share too such as far cry, half life 2, forza motorsport, ninja gaiden, chronicles of riddick and many more. Out of all my consoles, I have played the xbox the most, and I also use it as a jukebox for which I hold all kinds of music. Nothings better than getting some friends round, playing multiplayer on one of the conflict series, with custom soundtracks in the background.

I am actually probably more loyal to nintendo games than any other developers, mainly because I have never really found any of their games to be dull or in any way a yearly rehash (EA).

Manufacturer of the console (Brand) 8
1st Party Games Support 4
3rd Party Games Support 5
Ability to play online 9
Ability to play DVD’s 11
Ability to act as a media centre 7
Design of the console 6
Design of the controller 3
Popularity amongst friends (social aspect) 10
Exclusive games 2
Reputation of the console 1

I did not like the look of the controller on the system and I think that the launch did not have enough advertisment, since I didn't know anything about it at the time. I also thought that the console may be difficult to play games on due to the controllers size and the fact that many said it was just a PC in a box turned me off it, thinking that mainly strategy games would be available for it.

I think xbox is one of the strongest games companies around at this moment in time, with so much developer support, games are at the highest quality, although they still can contain many bugs since it is early in the xbox 360 lifespan. I think that there are still many many people throughout the world that don't believe that xbox games are very good, and need to be convinced, like myself at one time. I think the xbox has had a good headstart in the next-gen console run, and with so little information known about its main competitor, I think that things can only improve for microsoft, aslong as people give the console a try and don't say its only good game is Halo!

Yes

Microsoft Xbox - as explained on Q7

Nintendo Gamecube Fun, Unique
Microsoft Xbox 360 Demanding, Features
Playstation 2 Family, Diverse
Microsoft Xbox Smooth, Hardcore

Male 19

zishan03

Standard Member
Anyone else willing to answer, it will only take a few minutes but would be a great help to me.

Thanks for your time.

Zishan

CrispyXUK

Yes

Yes

14-16 hours

10 Very Interested

Playstation 1
Sega Dreamcast
Playstation 2
Nintendo 64
Nintendo Gamecube

SNES - It has the best games

Nintendo / Playstation

Yes (please state brand and why below)
Nintendo has nintendo games, playstation has capcom, square & namco games

1st Party Games Support
Exclusive games
3rd Party Games Support
Design of the controller
Ability to play online
Design of the console
Ability to play DVD’s
Ability to act as a media centre
Popularity amongst friends (social aspect)
Reputation of the console

Its gonna be ****, and it was

Same

No

Nintendo Gamecube - Has games that I couldn't live without playing

Nintendo Gamecube - Great console, undersupported
Microsoft Xbox 360 - Nice interface, shame about the games
Playstation 2 - Great console, loads a games
Microsoft Xbox - Shame about the games

Male 25

hpoom

Sorry didn't put mu Gender and Age on my replys.

I'm Male Aged 27

D

Deleted member 65413

Yes

Yes

8-10 hours

About twenty years

10 Very Interested
1 Not at all interested

Nintendo Gamecube

All except the original XBox

At the moment i would have to say the 360. Mainly down to the fact that i was getting tired of the repetitive look of the Playstation2/XBox generation. The 360 feels like a breath of fresh air at the moment.

Yes, Nintendo

Have always been a big fan of Nintendo consoles. They never provide me with what i want alone but they have always tried to be inventive and if find that really important. These days the companies push money into known genres and 'safe' games such as FIFA and Bond Licenses, but Nintendo like to experiment and thats why they are attractive. Also been a fan for years so theres a bit of nostalgia thrown in there.

1 Manufacturer of the console (Brand)
3 1st Party Games Support
4 3rd Party Games Support
9 Ability to play online
10 Ability to play DVD's
11 Ability to act as a media centre
8 Design of the console
7 Design of the controller
6 Popularity amongst friends (social aspect)
5 Exclusive games
2 Reputation of the console

Didnt expect much, basically thought of PC gaming in a box.

Its finding its feet alright. Been more impressed by Xbox recently than i was in the last generation. Needs alot more support from certain third party companies but i believe that will come in time. Its found quite a niche market and one that i dont believe Sony will replicate too easily

Yes, im bit of a gadget freak

Microsoft Xbox 360. Most impressive console on the market

Nintendo Gamecube. Superb Console, slightly let down by weak third party support and over use of in house mascots.

Microsoft Xbox 360. Very nice console that has set a bench mark for the next generation

Playstation 2. Always been a weak console in my opinion. Few good titles but littered with mediocre nonsense.

Microsoft Xbox. Nice console in its day but little variety in game type. Pretty much redundant now the 360 is on the market.

MALE aged 28.

broona

Yes No

Yes No

15 years+

10 Very Interested
1 Not at all interested

Nintendo Gamecube

Microsoft Xbox, great games, and used as a Media Centre in the bedroom now the 360's replaced it downstairs.

Yes (please state brand and why below) No (please state why below)

I'll buy whichever console delivers the best gameplay for the most reasonable price, which microsoft seem to have done recently.

2 - 1st Party Games Support
3 - 3rd Party Games Support
1 - Ability to play online
7 - Ability to play DVD’s
5 - Ability to act as a media centre
6 - Design of the console
4 - Design of the controller
10 - Popularity amongst friends (social aspect)
8 - Exclusive games
9 - Reputation of the console

More money for Microsoft!

Even more money for Microsoft, but worth every penny!

Yes No

Most features, excellent online play, current generation unlike the other 3 last gen ones.

Nintendo Gamecube - Kids toy
Microsoft Xbox 360 - The daddy
Playstation 2 - Once good
Microsoft Xbox - XBMC!

Male, 31

alchemystical

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. 12-14 hours at least
  4. 20 years
  5. 10
  6. Dreamcast. Xbox, Gamecube
  7. Probably the Xbox for emulation and so on
  8. Nintendo, they always innovate and create something worth playing
  9. 1, 2, 3, 6, 10, 4, 7, 5, 9, 8, 11
  10. Meh - here comes a PC for the living room
  11. Meh - here comes a PC for the living room
  12. Hell yeah, Nintendo Revolution baby
  13. Got/had already
  14. Cube = fun, different
  15. 360 = xbox 1.5
  16. ps2 = non gamers console
  17. xbox = wins by default

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom