1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Tejpal, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do vinyl really sound better than cd's???

appearently there sound is more like the "real" thing

im sure im wrong

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Listen to both in quality systems, you decide then come back and tell us what you think.
    It's your ears that count.

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    If you use a cheap turntable?arm/cartridge combination against a budget CD player, then the CD player might be better. But with a good quality turntable and a good recording, you might get a shock.
    Its difficult to say what the difference is, but vinyl seems less wearing and more fluent than CD, my conclusion is that it is an analogue source unlike CD and it has loads more imformation in the grooves unlike a CD that has finite imformation.
    Definitely try it out, just remember that not all records are good recordings and a poor recording will sound poor on cd or vinyl.

4. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the biggest hifi can of worms ever. Personally I'm a CD supporter (see can anyone recomend a turntable thread) but there is a lot to be said for vinyl.

5. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I always believed cd was better, then I met my wife, who had a lot of records, bought a turntable and was very surprised at the sound of it. I have the Tracy Chapman LP and CD and the LP sounds much (trying to think of a word other than real, but cant) more real than the cd. There is certainly more bass and I now don't think I've ever played the cd (going for a fiver if anyone wants);)

6. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    i think most people after listening to a properly set up turntable, will agree they DO sound better. the questionis, can you be bothered to set up and twaek with turntables, with cd you put it in and sit down with a remote. my dealer had to spend an enite morning setting up a gyro deck for me and a friend when we auditioned it:eek: :eek: :D

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im another who thinks vinyl is better, significantly so. The supposedly 'inaudible' information definitely does seem to enhance the sound.

Then again, i dont use vinyl because all my music is on cd and i cant afford to change it al! Otherwise i'd get vinyl!

ad

8. penfold

penfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dts_boy- ouch! That's quite a hassle. CD's are just too easy, I guess. In the car, the walkman etc...:)

9. TV-Man

TV-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hers my two pence worth:

CD's are more conveniant, drop & go

:blush: & that it, oh and go with Vinyl!