1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by paiger, Feb 5, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am pretty new to these new fangled games machines, my current one being a Binatone. Unfortunately one of the sticks broke so I can only play Target in single player mode.

My question is, with these brilliant graphics, would it not be possible to lose yourself in the realism and imagine that you were actually in 'space'? The power of these consoles is amazing. I remember a mate of mine had his Vic 20 hooked up to a wind up telephone in his shed and was messing with the very fabric of the universe.

This begs the question, what could you do with these machines? Some of these virtual reality games are so good you can almost 'be' somebody else. Can I be that bloke in the Italian Job who sweeps the floor? I bet I could.

What do you think? Do want to go to 'space' or are you scared?

S

2. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is your real name Matthew Broderick perchance?

3. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate it when any games machine finally gives up.

I used to love getting my old Acorn Electron out to play (similar to the BBC Micro).

After about 5 Years the power lead connector into the machine had used a whole roll of sellotape, just to keep it at the correct angle to stop it from shorting out!!! (not good when it takes about 5 mins to load a game)

Bit finally the Electron lost its hearing and could no longer hear the beeps from the tapes :(

Now it lives a peaceful life in the loft. R.I.P

Anne

BTW: There was one game I liked playing that was located on a multi game tape, it took about 30 minutes just to find the correct section of the tape!!!! then about 5 minutes to load.
    I doubt I would put up with a minute game load nowadays

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had an Electron with Chuckie Egg on it. It was rubbish as I remember but I liked it anyway. They always promised to bring out a module to plug in a joystick but they never did. Government conspiracy if you ask me.

S

5. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've still got the original Binatone tennis (in original orange box).

And it still works.

I occasionally think, I'll fire up the Binatone for a laugh...

5 minutes later, I'm bored and packing it away again.

Never mind it's probably worth a bob or two?? - what's the verdict?

Cheers

Laurel

PS. I've also got 2 Atari 2600's and loads of carts.

Why do I feel like a plonka? :D

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SOunds like mine, with the little controllers with the black knobs on the joysticks? All in the Orange casing. Tasty. I've got a plie of BBC B's in my garage and some old Commodore 64's. Must bin them soon.

7. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Yes they did. It was called a Plus1. And they did a Plus3 which had a (gasp!) floppy disk drive!

8. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I downloaded some ZX Spectrum games a few weeks ago. Manic Miner, looked $hit but I loved it anyway.

Cheers

9. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hungry Horace and Horace goes Skiing were good to as well as Jetpac.

By the way I had a Plus 3 with the revolutionary 3.5" FDD on it. I must have got fed up waiting for the Plus 1 cuz I don't remember it coming out. Reckon I had my Amstrad CPC644 by then.

S

10. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've still got my old Atari 800 (with original box), not the XL which was brought out to satisfy the poofter market, but the original with twin cartridge slots and the cast aluminium chassis. Jesus, you could use that machine as a makeshift car jack. Wonder if its worth anything now?