• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question To The PS3 & Onkyo 605 Owners

jrwagh333

Hi there,

I have myself a PS3 and HDTV and am loveing the Bluray experience, i now want to get myself in on the surround sound hi-def audio.

i have decided on the Onkyo 605 as it is cheaper. i wanted to know if the PS3 and the Onkyo 605 working together would be able to play these audio formats:

DTS-HD Master Audio 6.1
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.0
DTS-HD 7.1
DTS-HD 5.1
PCM 7.1
PCM 6.1
PCM 5.1
PCM 5.0
Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 EX
Dolby Digital Plus 5.1
DTS-ES Matrix 6.1
Dolby Digital 5.1 EX
Dolby Digital 5.1
Dolby Digital 3.0
Dolby Digital 2.0
Dolby Digital Stereo
Dolby Digital Mono

any help or advice would be appreciated. thanks.

C

cinema-man

well thats alot of decoding there,the ps3 is hdmi 1.3 once connected to the onkyo it should decode all of them,depending whats on the dvds,blu-rays etc.

norealplan

Distinguished Member
Hi there,

I have myself a PS3 and HDTV and am loveing the Bluray experience, i now want to get myself in on the surround sound hi-def audio.

i have decided on the Onkyo 605 as it is cheaper. i wanted to know if the PS3 and the Onkyo 605 working together would be able to play these audio formats:

DTS-HD Master Audio 6.1
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.0
DTS-HD 7.1
DTS-HD 5.1
PCM 7.1
PCM 6.1
PCM 5.1
PCM 5.0
Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 EX
Dolby Digital Plus 5.1
DTS-ES Matrix 6.1
Dolby Digital 5.1 EX
Dolby Digital 5.1
Dolby Digital 3.0
Dolby Digital 2.0
Dolby Digital Stereo
Dolby Digital Mono

any help or advice would be appreciated. thanks.

All of them will work as far as I know apart from the DTS HD ones.

well thats alot of decoding there,the ps3 is hdmi 1.3 once connected to the onkyo it should decode all of them,depending whats on the dvds,blu-rays etc.

This is not the case. There have been numerous threads about HDMI 1.3, please read them before giving out the wrong information in future :smashin:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
the onkyo decodes the dts master audio.

That statement is correct, however there is currently no-way to get the information to the onkyo for decoding from the ps3..or indeed anything out there at the moment, what you get is 1.5 dts from discs encoded with dts hd (which sounds great though).
:D

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom