1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question to SVS PC Plus owners.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by nathan_silly, Sep 20, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking at the SVS package- namely the single CS-Ultra, Samson S-1000 package- at $1,299 I work out about £1100 everything in (postage, customs, VAT etc) Which is very reasonble. Would you think the external Samson amp is a higher quality to that of the Active SVS amps?

Now I'll be taking the subwoofer pre-out from the MC-1 into the Samson, then out to the subwoofer. Since the Samson has individual gain controls I don't need the SVS Bass Interface Box. . Unless I need the Sub-Sonic filter feature on the SVS BIB?

What are your thoughts on using the sub sonic filter to remove frequencies below the tune port? Do you notice the SVS chuffing/parping/cone bottoming out without enabling it, and then when you've set to the same port tune all of these sound degradations disappear? Does it sound cleaner?

Does anyone use the Samson amps? Do the fans ever kick in? How loud are they?

Do you think I should....

1) Use the BIB with a standard direct poweramp with no gain controls?- use the BIB to trim the volume, plus phase, sub-sonic.

2) Use a poweramp with gain controls, don't buy the BIB?

Also do you think I should save up for the Crown K1 instead of the Samson?

Thanks

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi nathan
    If i hadnt had a mission 5as sub i wouldnt know what you were on about parping and chuffing the mission lasted 2 days because of the port noise.dont know about the out board amp from svs but what i can tell you is ive never heard anything but superb bass from my sub no port noise at all Honest.If svs do fit the ultra driver in to the pc+ range i would just buy that .Iam sure you would be more than happy with the 20-39 pc+ though.
    Hope this helps Gonzo.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you experimented with the sub sonic filter?

If you play back ATOC THX trailer, Titan AE, Toy Story 2 (and other very low stuff under your port tune) does it sound flabby? Can you tell any difference between 20hz SS filter setting and disabled?

4. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Why dont you just send Tom V a copy of your room layout and what you are thinking of getting and what you have already.......i'm sure he has enough knowledge of his own Subs to ba able to recommened the right one for you.......it seems a waste to spend so much money, if you dont need to.

You may be surprised at just how little you might have to spend and how much you can save for more films and music.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just seeing what people think of the different subwoofer types- is a passive Plus with a decent amp better than a active Plus?

Also buying a Samson S1000 is hardly breaking the bank -£400.. 2 channels.. so that's £200 for one channel. Bargain. Course I can easily add another passive subwoofer. If I wanted two active SVS's it'll cost more.

I might end up with the PC Plus, or maybe PC Ultra... I'm just mulling it over.

Considering the PC Plus is ~£700, and a single CS-Ultra with a Samson is only £1100/£1200 (or the PC Ultra TBC at $1200) it's not that much more. Well to me it isn't.

[edit]
    For example- two 20-39 PC Plus's are $1650. Two 20-30 CS Plus (with one Samson S1000) are $1525. So almost $100 cheaper for the passive setup. Shipping will be cheaper on the Passive's as well. And if the Active amp blows- bit more difficult to fix/replace.. if the Samson dies the Subwoofer doesn't need to be touched.

6. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Have you tried the AVSForums........that CS Ultra thing....passive thingy seems to be the most popular over in the staetes and they use all kinds of amps with it over there...
    Maybe worth asking there as over here we are just starting to get into the SVS thing.

7. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i think it's mentioned somewhere in the faq on the svs site that the passive versions with a decent amp can perhaps provide 1-2db more of clean output than their active colleagues.

But yes tom v is the man for all things like this - i can't help but feel you're just wanting to out do everyone else atm :p iirc you have all your kit in your bedroom though? ...certainly i don't think you'll be getting a second one as they are rather large.

Maybe consider the pb2-isd which is about $1100 (again iirc) yet has 2 plus drivers, though whether this will outperform a single cs ultra i don't know :confused:

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I doubt I would get another CS Ultra, but the spare channel on the Samson would allow for another one- or maybe buy two CS Plus's? Either way it's a upgrade path. Or if I want 16hz versions two is recommended, due to a loss of SPL compared to say a single 25hz model.

But look at Steve. He's got four Servo's. Smurfin has 2 Servos. I think Mark Ward also has two.

9. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Not in there bedrooms they havent.:D
    Gonzo.

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    But Jase has two in a caravan :rotfl: :rotfl:

11. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Mark would need about 10 to fill his HC, it does take up half of Kent :clown:

Steve

12. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Not yet he hasn't.:mad:

13. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    And 2 really doesn't fill it.. I'll be looking for more/bigger subs in the future but they do for now.

Mark.

14. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why has no-one answered my question?

IS THE SUBSONIC FILTER USEFUL, AND WORTH PAYING FOR? DOES IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN LOW LEVEL FREQUENCY REMOVAL/EXTREME SPL CHUFFING?
    Ta

15. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Nathan, from my experience (with an admittedly completely different subwoofer, and completely different sort of subsonic filter) it really makes a big difference.

My sub used to struggle with the crazy LFE scenes (i.e. Titan A.E. Ice Ring, Toy Story 2 intro, AOTC intro, etc), and I decided to try a makeshift SS filter by sticking in a wide-bandwidth filter at 20Hz on the BFD. This made a dramatic difference - the crazy LFE scenes now play without a hitch (and still sound very impressive), and the sub's now turned up to the level it should be (whereas before I had to drop it back a bit to keep it from bottoming at really nasty bits), and it all sound very, very cool. :)

Of course, I'm sure you're really after feedback from an SVS owner, but hey - at least someone answered your question... :p

Dunc

16. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers that'll do. I guess if my Rel Storm had a SS filter it'll be a better subwoofer as well. So it looks like either a PC Plus, or a CS-Ultra with the SVS BIB and a direct input style monobloc.

17. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nathan,

Did you ask TOm V this question? What did he say?
    I played all those BAss heavy tracks on my PC+....no problem at all.
    Not sure if I have heard any chuffing yet...not even sure i'll recognise it.
    But SVS always prided themselves that there Subs are all made to the best available specs. PCi or PC+.
    The amps they use are more than enough for the subs.

Anyway in the PC+_ is a 525 watts amp...not a lot of other subs sold here can come close.(yamaha don't count)
    But the samson delivers 1000 watt....frankly I think that's a bit overkill.
    They sell these amp to power their CS ultra subs.

Don't they use one of these amps to power the B4?!?

Anyway I suggest going for the Ultra with teh Samson.

18. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tan- the Samson is 500W, per channel - so 1000W total. Bit dumb of Samson to quote the amp as a 1000W amp really.

Oh they use Crown K1's or K2's with the B4...the Samson is used with the Cylinders, or Cylinder Plus & the CS-Ultra (although if you're looking at the Ultra probably better going for the Crown K1)

19. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I thought the PC+ had a SS filter built-in?

Dunc

20. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it does. But I want to get the CS-Ultra- which is passive. So It'll need...

Gain
    Amplification
    And to match the PC Plus range- SS filter, phase.

And to exactly match the PC Plus- (but I won't use)..
    High-Level inputs
    Crossover and disable switch.
    Auto on/off switch

Gain, variable phase and Sub Sonic filter can be achieved by buying the SVS Bass Interface Box ($160)
    and a amp... I'll try and find one like a standard monobloc- no gain control (don't need two gains as it could affect the sound)